SATS results

Key Stages 1-2 and SATs advice

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Rob Clark

Re: SATS results

Post by Rob Clark »

Hermann, I don’t think they revised the sets until the end of Y7 (though I stand to be corrected). Given that at this school they select GCSE options in February of Y8 and start the courses that summer term, it did seem important to DD that she was in a triple science set from the off. They did also use 11+ scores and primary school report to determine setting.

Katel, totally agree with your general point about them being for the benefit of the school rather than the children.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Agreed very important to get into the 3 science group - tricky to change "up" if the decisions are made so early...
katel

Post by katel »

But I would be amazed if a 4A wasn't in the top set anyway. And cramming for a 5 isn't going to make any difference to a child's scientific ability. And anyway they don't do science SATS any more. So my point stands. SATS don't matter to the child.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

mitasol wrote:
cairo wrote:Oh. My children's school didn't give us anything like that - only your individual child's performance. Anyone know roughly what % nationally got level 5s in each of the tests?

Thanks.
http://www.dcsf.gov.uk/rsgateway/DB/SFR" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... ndex.shtml
The percentages of pupils achieving Level 5 in the 2009 Key Stage 2 tests by subject are as follows:

* English 29% (35% for girls, 23% for boys)
* Reading 47% (54% for girls, 41% for boys)
* Writing 19% (24% for girls, 15% for boys)
* Mathematics 35% (32% for girls, 37% for boys)
* Science 43% (43% for girls, 43% for boys)
wouldn't have thought many 4's would get into top set if 43% nationally got a 5.
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

Actually looking at those statistics, I'm less worried about sats levels rather why are boys behind girls in practically every subject ? :?
sherry_d

Post by sherry_d »

scarlett wrote: why are boys behind girls in practically every subject ? :?
...and why men continue to dominate every industry yet girls are rocking it at school. Are we being relegated to child rearing machines :lol:
Impossible is Nothing.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Girls have been ahead of boys in academic attainment for years. This is the case up until A levels I think - might be wrong. Exams have been altered in style to enable boys to catch up.

We women know that this is right - of course we are more academically able, the cleverest thing we do is let me think they are in charge. Meanwhile we multitask.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... -show.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/3110594.stm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
fatbananas

Post by fatbananas »

At our school, in our super-selective area, the top two sets are apparently mainly made up of level 5s, 4a being for those in set 3.
Seize the day ... before it seizes you.
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

hermanmunster wrote: We women know that this is right - of course we are more academically able, the cleverest thing we do is let me think they are in charge. Meanwhile we multitask.

Oh yes, behind every good man is a great woman or behind every man is a woman telling him he's wrong :P

However, I think it is important to tell boys they are capable...we always hear people saying " oh that's boys for you...they're lazy, can't write properly " etc but just think over the ages how important men have been in inventing certain things...there have been some really great men and I think we just write boys off a bit now.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Agreed Scarlett, I tend to find that women in the family are more lateral thinkers and can multitask well in many areas at the same time - good a problem solving, whereas the lads can have phenomenal depth of knowledge about subjects but only do one thing at a time.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now