Progress, Y3 to Y4

Key Stages 1-2 and SATs advice

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
NorthLondonMum

Re: Progress, Y3 to Y4

Post by NorthLondonMum »

Thanks Scarlett. I will get the teacher to tell me what she needs to do to move ahead with her reading.

Good luck with your boys.
mystery

Post by mystery »

4c in everything at the end of year 4 looks pretty respectable as if you look at 1.5 sublevels per annum in progress over the next two years (average progress) you have 5c's in everything at the end of year 6. As the child seems in general to have had above average results right the way through you might hope for better progress than this over the next two years so you are looking at 5c or more in everything. What are the school's published level 5 and above results at KS2 like? This will give you an impression whether the school is likely to be ambitious or not at KS2. What targets have they set for your daughter for end year 5, and end year 6?

Which bit of progress were you not happy with - which subjects, which time period? I wasn't entirely sure from the table and wording in your OP which bit exactly was bothering you, or what the year 2 and year 3 results were in some of the subjects.
menagerie

Post by menagerie »

Something well worth bearing in mind is that they can't climb up a sub level if they haven't been taught the curriculum for it. This happens a lot with bright children who aren't given enough extension work, and spend their time doing work they could easily have done a year before. My son's teacher told me that on capability he would be a 5 at the end of Yr 4 in Maths, as he often gets 5 extension work and handles it well, but she couldn't mark him as such because the whole class hasn't covered enough of the 5 curriculum to reflect his ability at that level. If that makes sense!

So if your daughter is in a pretty average class in a state school she may not have the opportunity to progress to her natural level. It's a constant frustration with schools that don't have a strong G&T policy in place.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Yes, but one that some extra work at home could quite easily remedy if the child is able and willing.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

mystery wrote:Yes, but one that some extra work at home could quite easily remedy if the child is able and willing.

I have to agree, looking back there were gaps in our children's primary education, but we went to castles, france, cooked , went shopping, made stuff, gardened.....school is not the only place that education happens..
NorthLondonMum

Post by NorthLondonMum »

Hi,

I'm sorry the table wasn't very clear in the original post (it looked better when i typed it!)

For maths she got 3a in y3 and 4c in y4 which seems less progress than standard, I just expected more as she seemed so promising early on. Menagerie's point about the class is interesting as it does seem to me that the class as a whole seems to have covered less ground than her brother's class, which was considered very able. The school gets a good number of level 5s in maths at y6, but extra g&t stuff only seems to start in y5, and then the kids that are already getting tutoring are identified as g&t - funny that!

For reading she was given 3a/4c in y3 and 4c in y4 which really seems only a marginal improvement.

When I was talking to the teachers last term I was left wondering whether she was going to show any measurable improvement at all this year.

I have now clarified with the class teacher that these are teacher assessment levels.

I have never been informed of targets by this school for either of my children, I really wish I had asked about that at the meeting, I will definitely remember that for next term.

I will be doing more serious work with her at home from now on and we will see what happens. In my experience y5 is a critical year where a huge amount of learning takes place if the kids are to be ready to take entrance exams early in y6.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Yep, I think you are right you should be able to get a lot done in year 5 so long as you don't put all your eggs in one basket and expect school to magically pull out the stops for you. And TBH, if you are going down the tutoring route anyhow, I wonder how much it matters if school is going to light any fires or not. If the teacher assessments are accurate, you have a very sound basis there with 4c at the end of year 4 - presumably a lot of the basics are in place so the tutor should be able to add the knobs and the bells.

Don't think my school / children will produce such results at the end of year 4 ------- they'd probably think 4c at the end of year 4 was genius and there was too little left to do for the remaining two years for it to be any good for the child at all.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now