What to do?

Key Stages 1-2 and SATs advice

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
meboo

What to do?

Post by meboo »

My DS is finishing Y3, he is in the top set but I feel that he is capable of learning more/gaining a wider understanding of the work he is doing. His main weakness is English though, he hates reading and is not interested in fiction at all. He loves history books where he can dip from one page to another and back again for information.

I have spoken to his class teacher and to the head, The class teacher was going to do extra work with him and then has not been at school since. The head set him some work and has still not bothered to look at it.

The school is very focused on getting those that are not performing well up to speed and I accept that they should be doing this, however the kids at school that are no trouble seem to be forgotten about.

I am considering getting a tutor, so that my DS can be challenged more than he currently is, my concern of this is that he will then get bored in class which would not be good, or that we are pushing him too early, or if he is capable then he will do well without the tuition and a multitude of other if's and's and maybe's.

We have a kip mcgrath centre down the road that also does first class learning and they are offering a free assessment. Not sure if we should try that.

So all in all I have no idea what is the best thing to do, yes we are aiming at him sitting the 11+ but I also want him to be where he is capable of being, not just where it suits the class for him to be.

Help!!!
sherry_d

Re: What to do?

Post by sherry_d »

Which region are you in Meboo?

I think a tutor at the beginning of year 4 who is specific for 11+ is a tad bit early and your DS might suffer from the 11+ fatigue in the end. Most people start using one beginning of Year 5 but for good tutors sometimes you need to book them a year in advance. Its a bit hard if we dont know which schools or region you have in mind, here in Kent for example they don't test English.
Impossible is Nothing.
inmystride

Post by inmystride »

We parents are a funny bunch. We fret if our child isn't in the top sets, and we fret if they are.
meboo

Post by meboo »

sherry_d wrote:Which region are you in Meboo?
I'm in North Essex
push-pull-mum

Post by push-pull-mum »

meboo wrote:
sherry_d wrote:Which region are you in Meboo?
I'm in North Essex
If you can afford it - get a tutor. The Essex Comprehension 2010 was frightful and a non-fiction reading child could definitely struggle. I would find a tutor who can stretch your DC intellectually in lots of ways rather than one who will just drill him for the test - otherwise he will probably be bored or burn out long before 2013. You can always switch to a more exam centred approach nearer the time.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Yes if you search around you might find a genuinely interesting tutor rather than just someone who drills for the 11+.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now