Y5 CAT test results.

Key Stages 1-2 and SATs advice

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
yoyo123

Re: Y5 CAT test results.

Post by yoyo123 »

Iit is also in relation to the pupils in the school, the top 10% in a subject, so it doesn't translate from one school to another.
JaneEyre

Post by JaneEyre »

mystery wrote:Oh I wouldn't have thought that matters. What is the entrance procedure for the independent you are interested in? It won't just be the form that makes or breaks the deal.
Yes, it's for an indie which is a back up plan if unfortunately, our DS fail to obtain a grammar school place. But you are right, it doesn't matter much... This morning, I was trying to analyse and 'dissect' all the answers provided by the head! :lol: :lol:
yoyo123 wrote:Schools look more at unauthorised absence than authorised so providing you have informed the school that he was not attending then there should be no problem I would have thought.
I my DS' state primary, they are awful to give authorised absence if it is not for an absence due to an entrance, music (etc.) exam. Can you imagine that for a grandparent's funeral, they don't even give an authorised absence!!!?? :shock: :shock: I was really shocked a few years ago when I was discussing a matter with the headmistress to try to get an authorised absence for my DS and she gave me this example to explain her refusal :shock: :shock: I know they try to be very strict so that people don't take holidays abroad during term time, but I feel that a bit of flexibility and understanding is important!
mike1880 wrote:I don't think they'd expect to see MidYIS (Middle Years Information System) from a primary school - it's designed for years 7-8-9 (our daughter's school put everyone through it during their first week in Y7). Presumably the school has a 13+ intake as well?
Yes, you are right, there is also a 13+ intake in this school!
mike1880 wrote:We worked out our daughter was G&T for English from the extra-curricular activities she went on, I imagine she might also have been G&T for maths. No one ever mentioned anything, and it's pretty meaningless (not sure that's how the govt intended it to be :? !). Our son was G&T as well, we learned to ignore it.]Mike
When our daughter was on the G& T register at her grammar school (she is now at uni), she got the chance to go on a residential paid by the scheme and had also the opportunity to take part at some maths days/science days during a summer (she unfortunately didn't do any of these as we were abroad for the summer). Maybe all these things are now scraped due to the economic climate, but I have to say that the G & T was giving some excellent opportunities.
It seems thought it is different though from the G&T internal lists some primary schools have and which are not linked to an external organisation. :(
stroudydad

Post by stroudydad »

turtleglos wrote:Stroudydad, If you're feeling brave enough to go down the legal route can you let me know as I wasn't! :lol: Perhaps when they have all left the school.... I decided to wait and hope that I get them in yr 7.
As you know I have ds2 & 3 to put through there yet even after dd so don't want to rock the boat too much.. I'm sending a letter Monday so we'll see how it goes
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

JaneEyre wrote:
mystery wrote:Oh I wouldn't have thought that matters. What is the entrance procedure for the independent you are interested in? It won't just be the form that makes or breaks the deal.
Yes, it's for an indie which is a back up plan if unfortunately, our DS fail to obtain a grammar school place. But you are right, it doesn't matter much... This morning, I was trying to analyse and 'dissect' all the answers provided by the head! :lol: :lol:
yoyo123 wrote:Schools look more at unauthorised absence than authorised so providing you have informed the school that he was not attending then there should be no problem I would have thought.
I my DS' state primary, they are awful to give authorised absence if it is not for an absence due to an entrance, music (etc.) exam. Can you imagine that for a grandparent's funeral, they don't even give an authorised absence!!!?? :shock: :shock: I was really shocked a few years ago when I was discussing a matter with the headmistress to try to get an authorised absence for my DS and she gave me this example to explain her refusal :shock: :shock: I know they try to be very strict so that people don't take holidays abroad during term time, but I feel that a bit of flexibility and understanding is important!
mike1880 wrote:I don't think they'd expect to see MidYIS (Middle Years Information System) from a primary school - it's designed for years 7-8-9 (our daughter's school put everyone through it during their first week in Y7). Presumably the school has a 13+ intake as well?
Yes, you are right, there is also a 13+ intake in this school!
mike1880 wrote:We worked out our daughter was G&T for English from the extra-curricular activities she went on, I imagine she might also have been G&T for maths. No one ever mentioned anything, and it's pretty meaningless (not sure that's how the govt intended it to be :? !). Our son was G&T as well, we learned to ignore it.]Mike
When our daughter was on the G& T register at her grammar school (she is now at uni), she got the chance to go on a residential paid by the scheme and had also the opportunity to take part at some maths days/science days during a summer (she unfortunately didn't do any of these as we were abroad for the summer). Maybe all these things are now scraped due to the economic climate, but I have to say that the G & T was giving some excellent opportunities.
It seems thought it is different though from the G&T internal lists some primary schools have and which are not linked to an external organisation. :(
more here
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Parents/Sch ... G_10037625" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
JaneEyre

Post by JaneEyre »

yoyo123 wrote:more here
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Parents/Sch ... G_10037625" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thank you for the link, yoyo! :D