The return of Level 6 tests in Reading, Writing and Maths

Key Stages 1-2 and SATs advice

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Colourful-Rainbow

Re: The return of Level 6 tests in Reading, Writing and Math

Post by Colourful-Rainbow »

moved wrote:I don't think we can compare O levels and GCSEs. O levels were only intended for the top 20% of pupils whereas GCSEs are intended for the top 80%. It is indeed very difficult to obtain an A* under the new GCSE, but that is also a question of accuracy and sadly, partly of knowing what is expected for an answer.
True, having done GCSE's and A-Levels recently myself there were plenty of people who didn't learn a thing throughout the year and just learnt how to answer the questions. Don't get me wrong but I do feel it is important to understand what you are learning and not just for the sake of passing exams! Most students disagree with me though, even now whilst I am at university.
flicka

Post by flicka »

Hi, we did the Primary Maths challenge over a year ago in Year 5, and he did fine. Downloaded the old Junior papers and he flew them, found them easier than the Primary ones for some reason. Can't enter them as we live abroad. Of course we did KS3 levels 4 and 5 before we did level 6!
My son is particularly good at tackling most sorts of problems. His exams did indeed test him in that way, and he excelled.
We have done all sorts of different types of maths in various directions, of various standards both UK, American, Singapore as well. The beauty of home schooling is that you can try anything you like.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Guest 55, please could you tell us more about the areas at level 5 that tend to get missed out at primary school when moving on to level 6. Also, why is it done like that? The national curriculum is the national curriculum so why is there a primary and secondary school "version" of level 5 and level 6?
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

The level 5 APP foci are:

Using and Applying
identify and obtain necessary information to carry through a task and solve mathematical problems
check results, considering whether these are reasonable
solve word problems and investigations from a range of contexts
show understanding of situations by describing them mathematically using symbols, words and diagrams
draw simple conclusions of their own and give an explanation of their reasoning

Numbers and the number system
use understanding of place value to multiply and divide whole numbers and decimals by 10, 100 and 1000 and explain the effect
round decimals to the nearest decimal place and order negative numbers in context
recognise and use number patterns and relationships
use equivalence between fractions and order fractions and decimals
reduce a fraction to its simplest form by cancelling common factors
understand simple ratio

Calculating
use known facts, place value, knowledge of operations and brackets to calculate including using all four operations with decimals to two places
use a calculator where appropriate to calculate fractions/percentages of quantities/measurements understand and use an appropriate non-calculator method for solving problems that involve multiplying and dividing any three digit number by any two-digit number
solve simple problems involving ordering, adding, subtracting negative numbers in context
solve simple problems involving ratio and direct proportion
apply inverse operations and approximate to check answers to problems are of the correct magnitude

Algebra
construct, express in symbolic form, and use simple formulae involving one or two operations
use and interpret coordinates in all four quadrants

Shape, Space and measure
use a wider range of properties of 2-D and 3-D shapes and identify all the symmetries of 2-D shapes
use language associated with angle and know and use the angle sum of a triangle and that of angles at a point
reason about position and movement and transform shapes
measure and draw angles to the nearest degree, when constructing models and drawing or using shapes
read and interpret scales on a range of measuring instruments, explaining what each labelled division represents
solve problems involving the conversion of units and make sensible estimates of a range of measures in relation to everyday situations
understand and use the formula for the area of a rectangle and distinguish area from perimeter

Handling data
ask questions, plan how to answer them and collect the data required
in probability, select methods based on equally likely outcomes and experimental evidence, as appropriate
understand and use the probability scale from 0 to 1
understand and use the mean of discrete data and compare two simple distributions, using the range and one of mode, median or mean
understand that different outcomes may result from repeating an experiment
interpret graphs and diagrams, including pie charts, and draw conclusions
create and interpret line graphs where the intermediate values have meaning

Level 5 is the same - it's just that Primaries don't teach all of this .. particularly the shape and handling data. Just compare to a KS2 paper and you will see what I mean.
Fran17

Post by Fran17 »

Guest55 wrote:I know teaching is better than when I was at school - teachers are regularly observed and marking is scrutinised.
I agree Guest55. I get fed up with people constantly harping on about how easy GCSEs are, particularly the day after students have received their results. The teaching my DSs have received is certainly better than I received, and the students who achieve As and A*s work incredibly hard. Indeed, I believe they seem to be a lot more disciplined than when I was at school. If I remember correctly, lower sixth was an easy ride compared to the constant assessments and pressure they have to endure these days. As you say G55 it is not the fault of the students that the exams have changed.