More Reading Woes Part 100

Key Stages 1-2 and SATs advice

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
mystery

Re: More Reading Woes Part 100

Post by mystery »

Just been looking at my DD2's year 1 folders. I think she has applied the same principle to all school work.

I'm not sure this applies to Scarlett's DS2 though? Or maybe it does. Home and school are for mumbling, church is for speaking clearly. The message is clear Scarlett, put him in a monastery.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

The Burt reading test was revised in 1974 and consists of words in isolation,
it is in the public domain and you can download it for free.

It's not one of my favourite tests as the words are not in any context.
Words like phlegmatic , phthisis and fallacious don;t crop up much in everyday English and I don't know many adults who could pronounce phthisis if they had never come across the word before and there were no other cues in a sentence.

here it is...
http://www.rrf.org.uk/pdf/Burtreadingtestonweb.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mystery

Post by mystery »

Mmm. I wouldn't set much store by the results of that test. However, looking at a lot of the words, if a child had been taught synthetic phonics extremely well including the more "advanced code" they would be able to have a good stab at a lot of those words at quite a young age. However, this wouldn't mean they could understand them.

I'd just bash on with what you are doing Scarlett and ignore the Burt results.
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

Yes, I think I will ....thanks everyone :D I've got him to sit down for 10 minutes daily and read The War Horse to me, which he's enjoying...I'm trying not to pull faces as he reads, but he does improve as he goes on. It's just fitting it all in ! Roll on January when we're snowed in and I've all the time in the world !
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

even synthetic phonics doesn't help much with phthisis

phth is an extremely rare grapheme for 't' :shock:

Nb do you sense I have a 'thing' about the inclusion of this word!... or should that be a phthhing?
mystery

Post by mystery »

So isn't it pronounced f th ?

And how is the test administered and scored please Yoyo?
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Last edited by Belinda on Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

mystery wrote:So isn't it pronounced f th ?

And how is the test administered and scored please Yoyo?
http://www.rrf.org.uk/pdf/Burt%20Readin ... ctions.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

the scoring is on the original link

the word is pronounced tyssis..means a percussive cough, I only know cos I had to look it up!
eta!
oops got it wrong :oops:
phthisis [ˈθaɪsɪs ˈfθaɪ- ˈtaɪ-]
n
(Medicine / Pathology) any disease that causes wasting of the body, esp pulmonary tuberculosis
[via Latin from Greek: a wasting away, from phthinein to waste away]
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

Thanks Belinda :) He does read to DD and I think his school might do something similar .I am thinking that I would like to sort it out, for the very reasons you mention but I also think it is him ....he is shy and just mumbles and as he reads he starts off really fast, stutters over the words and then will change certain words...say, the for and...not always the same ones, just the common ones. I did think at one point he might be as blind as a bat, but his eyesight is ok.He is better using a book mark and does improve as he goes along.I will just have to bash on with it all .
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

:lol: :lol:

I've had this rant before!!
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... is#p238477" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

thought it sounded familiar!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now