More Reading Woes Part 100

Key Stages 1-2 and SATs advice

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
scarlett

Re: More Reading Woes Part 100

Post by scarlett »

It's not a rant Yoyo ! More a recurring problem that only you lovely lot can help me with ! I know I'm repeating myself...but this time I'm more worried about his reading fluency and the difference between that and whatever else he is assessed for in reading ...rather then Burty Burts test !
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

there are reading tests eg Neale that have separate scores for fluency and comprehension,
Sounds write and/or phonographix screening tests also test for blending, segmenting,auditory processing and code knowledge (eg sh + shhhh)
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Last edited by Belinda on Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

Some people just don't like it...and maybe rush to get the words out. From an early age, DS has always been deemed shy, or maybe having a speech problem when he was really just mumbling or not given the time to express himself properly. Then I was told he might have sequencing problem, then he was deaf and when I wanted all this looked into , it was all played down and so I looked into it and it always came to nothing. I think that's why I always worry that perhaps something is wrong but deep down I know there isn't. He is just a sensitive little boy who needs time and attention to thrive ...and he has come on. That's why I hate parent evenings ! There always seems to be some kind of problem . :(
mystery

Post by mystery »

Scarlett I think Yoyo was saying she was ranting about phthissing etc.

I really wouldn't worry about the out loud reading thing just now, or some burk test or other!! It will be a massive distraction from your 11 plus stuff. All useful reading is done fast, and in the head. Out loud slows you down, it's for the local drama festival not studying. I'm sure he can learn to do it in a fun way in year 6 if it still seems like a good idea then. In the meantime you can sign him up as a regular reader at church and the vicar can train him; that will surprise the teacher when he starts to sound like a middle aged C of E clergyman (oops, making some huge assumptions about your church now).

The only reason the school will be doing Burt is because it's free.
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

We don't usually have a vicar at aour church ( it's too small ...we only have the odd guest appearance ) We have this old lady who is about 100 but any problem you have she will tell you how to solve it and make you wonder why you've never thought of that solution before. I like her because she told me once I shone like a star :D She'd be pretty good on here actually.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

Scarlett I think Yoyo was saying she was ranting about phthissing etc.
yes I was!

don;t worry about the reading aloud, if you want to help him do it maybe read a book like Wind in the Willows ( or similar) and each read a characte'rs words. Accents, dramatic interpretations ( if he is shyat forst he can be the sensible narrator! Even though reading aloud is one of a teacher's key skills I skim reading ahead to get gist..) not all can master it!
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

Thanks yoyo. I know you didn't mean I was ranting...I just felt a bit embarrassed as if I was going on a bit. Which I think is an appropriate moment to say thanks so much everyone...it's so nice that you all try and help out with your advice, expertise and personal stories. It really helps and I'm so, so grateful x. :) Sorry. Had a glass of wine. I shall be posting pictures soon. :D
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

If reading in accents helps he must try the Redwall books - DS1 was obsessed why them (all 20 of them) for a couple of years and still talks like some of the characters. In fact, I can't think why I haven't suggested them on other threads - off I go to do so right now!
scary mum
mystery

Post by mystery »

Maybe the 100 year old from church is on here. Not me I hasten to add. There's no-one that old at my church as one of my children announces in a loud voice whenever she sees an old lady " that lady will die soon because she is so old". They are never seen again.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now