Reading scheme books

Key Stages 1-2 and SATs advice

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
mystery

Re: Reading scheme books

Post by mystery »

Sounds fab. I'd love it if you told us some science books that are appealing and readable by good 7 year old readers. I'm tiring of novels. And I find there is too much in some children's science books, or if they are trying to aim at younger readers they use rubbish vocabulary. Any ideas please!!
DIY Mum
Location: Not in a hole in the ground but in a land where once they dwelt-the Beormingas

Post by DIY Mum »

Harcourt Science books are nicely presented, vocab good.
color]
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

y6 sats are still externally marked. Each year has a table of threshold marks and the score determines the level. The guidelines in the marking scheme are quite strict

Unlikely a teacher would downgrade even for the QCA tests in 3,4,5.

If teacher is unsure of result ( too high/low) for a child then they may ask someone else to double check marks.

I had same thing with both my children and reading schemes. If he enjoys readinga t home, then that is far better!
mystery

Post by mystery »

I still don't really understand why there are so many teachers who needlessly inflict reading scheme books upon children? I get the impression from these threads it must be quite a sizeable proportion who do this.
fatbananas

Post by fatbananas »

Thanks for the Harcourt books suggestion. I'll take a look.

Mystery, I sent you a pm about the eyes book (I wasn't sure if it was 'advertising'?!). It's a Treetops level 15 non-fiction book.

Yoyo, that's such a relief to hear you say that. As Mystery says, it's obviously not uncommon to have an infliction/ resistance pattern! DS was much happier this morning, as was I.

Thanks everyone. :D
Seize the day ... before it seizes you.
pixiequeen

Post by pixiequeen »

Unlikely a teacher would downgrade even for the QCA tests in 3,4,5.
I'm pleased to hear that, Yoyo. It does worry me a bit that my DD might get SATs levels at the end at the year that reflect where the teacher thinks she's at, rather than where she really is. We are planning on doing a fair bit of work at home with DD to raise her SATs levels as I think she's currently under achieving and I would hate for it to be ignored in favour of a grade based on the (unfortunately rather little)work she does in class if she manages to get a better grade in the tests. :D
mystery

Post by mystery »

Yoyo, schools don't have to do tests in years 3, 4, 5 do they?

Please can you remind us what is still tested at the end of KS2, and of that, what is teacher marked and what is school marked? I can't keep up with the changes.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Fat bananas thanks for the PM, and thanks higher up the thread whoever suggested Harcourt Science. Will take a good look at both.

Do you think we are all getting rebellious on EPE?

I do think Scarlett is the worst though. Says and does all the right things at school and then does those naughty "health days". Amber I can't quite work out!! You seem very anti anything at home verging on school work during the primary years, but then in one thread you did sound a little as though you might support tutoring for GS.

Me I just think about it all and never do anything apart from sending the school reading books back. Occasionally I'll change the colour labels on them after having read them myself if I think the banding is incorrect.
Muggle

Post by Muggle »

I don't worry too much about the school reading scheme. My Yr3 DS brings home a range of school books - but they are all sooooooooooo boring! We choose to ignore them, despite regular notes from the teacher in his reading record saying he must read the reading scheme books!! DS is really enjoying Harry Potter at the moment and I feel it's important to encourage his enjoyment of reading in preference to trudging through uninspiring school reading material.
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

mystery wrote: I do think Scarlett is the worst though. Says and does all the right things at school and then does those naughty "health days".

Me I just think about it all and never do anything apart from sending the school reading books back. Occasionally I'll change the colour labels on them after having read them myself if I think the banding is incorrect.

I must just be a rebel in disguise , Mystery...apart from the time I had a big old hissy fit with DS2 teacher about the shameful things that have happened, remember ??!

I'm wondering now if you mean buying a whole bunch of coloured labels and sticking them over the one on the book. Does it confuse the teacher in thinking they are on a different level ??

Do year 6 sats really make a difference to the child ? My DS1 is still having " core assessments "at his grammar whatever they are and his level/banding is completely different to the ones he was given a few months ago . They do seem to be starting from scratch and learning in such a different way ..primary sats just don't seem relevant.