SPAG and Level 6 Practice Papers

Key Stages 1-2 and SATs advice

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Daogroupie

SPAG and Level 6 Practice Papers

Post by Daogroupie »

I have the Scholastic papers but has any other publisher produced anything? It is disappointing that Scholastic don't explain anything in the mark scheme. They do not even have any drawings at all in their Maths answers. The mark scheme gives you the answers but no explanation of why they are the right answers. QCA mark schemes are alwaus very detailed so you could understand where you had gone wrong. I am surprised that some of the other publishers do not have any material. Why don't CGP or Letts or Smiths have anything? The SPAG papers really are very different from any of the previous year's papers. What sort of preparation for these papers has been done at school? The SPAG paper really is completely different from the papers that my dd's now in 7 and 8 did. How did your primary school prepare for these papers? DG
Guest55

Re: SPAG and Level 6 Practice Papers

Post by Guest55 »

Publishers only bring out new material if there is a large enough market to make money!

Level 6 is a small market and if the changes go through levels might well disappear. The papers have been changed from last year so there has also been too little time for material to be developed.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

The SPAG 3-5 paper will be taken by every eligible student in Year 6 in every state primary school in England. That is a much bigger potential market than 11 plus exams. candidates? What material are teachers using to teach the students? What has had to be dropped from KS2 English in order to teach SPAG? Most of the 3-5 paper is new, a lot of material to be taught. As for the Level 6 papers what percentage of Y6 students are going to take them? Is the percentage different between Maths and English? I am going to run some mocks for my students but I have been quite surprised by the content. Having worked with some of my Y6 students for some months I am not sure they have been taught some of the materials. Anybody know what material KS2 teachers will be using to prepare their students? DG
RAB321

Post by RAB321 »

My DS's school held a SATS Info Meeting to notify the parents of the changes in SATS this year but also to recommend some suitable materials that children could use to revise over the Easter break.

For Level 5's KS2 CGP revision guides and Past SAT papers were suggested.

For Level 6's KS3 CGP guides and Collins Education Framework range was suggested.

http://www.collinseducation.com/series/ ... ameworking" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My sons teacher was one of the teachers presenting the info and suggested the YR7 Workbook and Yr7 Pupil Book L2-3. All pupils were given maths and english CGP revision books anyway.

We have been using L6 Past SAT papers and the sample SPAG test but the Collins Education Workbook is a completely different format. I do worry alittle that I should be sticking to the same format as the L6 Sats - so if anyones got any recommendations - It would be gratefully appreciated.
fairyelephant

Post by fairyelephant »

My dd has been given ks2 sat buster books by cgp in spelling, punctuation and grammar. They have each been told which sections of the book they need to work on and sent away to work through it. My sense is that the school realised late that there was a change in format and has been teaching grammar like mad since Xmas. More than a third of pupils may sit level 6 maths paper (roughly those that sat selective school exams) and they have been put in maths sets for sats revision, not as clear on the English side however.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now