SATs levels at end of year 3 etc.

Key Stages 1-2 and SATs advice

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
DenDe

Re: SATs levels at end of year 3 etc.

Post by DenDe »

Is this the box of wine from last week? I thought that would be well gone by now :wink:

My Year 3 DDs seem to have kind of had the year off this year. :o Learning seems to have been very low key - lots of fun activities, plays and "easy" maths. I wonder if schools see this as a transition year or whether (cynically) it's because their next SATs are so far off they (the school) take their foot off the gas.

Personally I won't be thinking about 11+ prep with them until next year but I am reading with them a lot and going over times tables when I have a minute (ie when homework stuff with older 2 allows!) so I guess that's preparation in a way. Poor things, they don't know what's coming :lol:
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

...I've recognised one of the questions from the pitch and expectations paper as being Yr 4 level 3, so I'm pretty confused about what he's learning.
...P.S if he has been given a year 4 paper he must be doing well for them to think he is capable , I mean ?
I think that the work covered in year 3 pitch and expectation contains mainly level three questions. Some would be from KS1 tests and others from actual tests in year 3/4/5 and 6.

So don't panic and assume they should just breeze through the year 3 pitch and expectation work.
DenDe

Post by DenDe »

I think I've missed something. What's "pitch and expectation"?
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

The Maths Pitch and Expectations have been mentioned a few times recently have a look here http://www.suffolkmaths.co.uk/pages/Pri ... ar%203.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
DenDe

Post by DenDe »

Thank you
fatbananas

Post by fatbananas »

Thank you everyone for your replies.
Seize the day ... before it seizes you.
wonderwoman

Post by wonderwoman »

DenDe wrote:
My Year 3 DDs seem to have kind of had the year off this year. :o Learning seems to have been very low key - lots of fun activities, plays and "easy" maths. I wonder if schools see this as a transition year or whether (cynically) it's because their next SATs are so far off they (the school) take their foot off the gas.
Y3 is a transition year and a level 3 at the end of KS1 may not be entirely equal to a standard level 3 at KS2. But it does show the child is above average.

If schools do ease up in Y3 they will be for the high jump when Ofsted drop by. They will go through assessment and record keeping with a fine toothcomb. Ofsted will expect to see records and evidence, in books, that shows pupils have made the expected level of progress every year. And however good the teacher, it is difficult to eradicate the effects of poor teaching in previous years, so the whole school runs the risk of children failing to achieve in Y6. The SAT scores at the end of Y6 are down to the whole school.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

remember that "fun activities" may be sneaking in an awful lot of learning...

my proudest moment was overhearing " shh, she hasn't realised we are s'posed to be doing maths now" more than half way through a lesson which started with an quiz/bingo and went on with board games..during which we did loads of calculation,recalling maths facts and generally having a great time!

We learnt about greek triremes by measuring them out on the playground, drawing outline in chalk and then making the children " row" to the beat of a drum..

47 years later I still look to see expansion joints on motorway bridges after building a paper mache model of a motorway intersection in junior school...
ourmaminhavana

Post by ourmaminhavana »

What a lovely post Yoyo! Education the way it should be. :D

I presume the expectations are set annually ie based on progress/levels achieved to date and not simply based on the, in my DD's case, very low baseline targets,which she's already massively exceeded?

Does anyone know if the Pitch and expectations available for all of the different years and literacy too?!
DenDe

Post by DenDe »

my proudest moment was overhearing " shh, she hasn't realised we are s'posed to be doing maths now" more than half way through a lesson which started with an quiz/bingo and went on with board games..during which we did loads of calculation,recalling maths facts and generally having a great time!
That's very reassuring Yoyo. Hopefully there's lots of that going on in my DC school. They do seem to have had lots of fun this year and are still making good progress. I do notice, though, that the more "formal" type of learning seems to go on the two terms before the SATs tests. That is not a criticism of the school, I know they are at the mercy of the system.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now