ks2 level 6 maths help

Key Stages 1-2 and SATs advice

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
tricky

Re: ks2 level 6 maths help

Post by tricky »

Hi thanks for the replies and comments. Dd asked me to ask hence why I posted this thread , her attitude is if I am going to sit the test then I may as well give it my best shot. She loves a challenge and learning new things so has enjoyed doing a bit of revision. I am just trying to support and help her. She is aware its for the schools benefit mainly and the contension regarding the test but she wants to do it for herself. Thanks again and good luck to everyone taking test .
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I trust she will not feel she has 'failed' if she doesn't get the level 6; that is a major concern for me.

Also I trust you will understand when she is doing level 5 and level 6 topics next year that this is because the test is not a 'real' level 6.
tricky

Post by tricky »

Yes we aware ...we don't see at as such a big deal in the grand scheme of things ...just a test ! No different to kids hoping for a 5 and getting a 4. Just try your best and if you pass you pass and if you don't you don't. Like everyrhing in life I guess you can't not attempt things for fear of failure.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Yes that's true but in this case the 'test' is not even what it pretends to be - that's where the problem is.

Why not just let the Primaries give a teacher assessment of level 6? That could be validated against APP or even moderated by someone external to the school.
chocolate

Post by chocolate »

stevew61 wrote:
Amber wrote:It's a philosophy thing Steve...and we will never agree. ....But hey, it's Friday night and no one will agree with me.
D
Be careful your philosophy may become a doctrine. :oops: And I do :D agree with you in parts.

DS2 went through the same process and at the time it wasn't right for him but it has benefited him in year seven.

I'm in favour of meeting all children’s needs, I know it ain't gonna' happen because of finances.

If a KS2 teacher is prepared to give up her time to teach to a higher level for those who can benefit then I am in favour. I'm also in favour of the before school and after school booster classes given on a one-to-one basis to kids that the school runs.
private school by any chance???
stevew61

Post by stevew61 »

private school by any chance???
Thank you for asking, no, just a wonderful state primary school. :D

OK with a good intake but part of a cluster of schools, north Reading, that are trying to share (jargon - best practice) and improve, and it is working. Has taken a few years.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Amber, I guess a lot of people value learning more maths early (as opposed to all the other subjects you do quite rightly list) because it is more likely to lead to a job longer term. Also, I'm not sure how well-equipped many primary teachers are to teach the things you list well.
Amber

Post by Amber »

mystery wrote:Amber, I guess a lot of people value learning more maths early (as opposed to all the other subjects you do quite rightly list) because it is more likely to lead to a job longer term. Also, I'm not sure how well-equipped many primary teachers are to teach the things you list well.
Well no, they aren't that well equipped, because as a nation we sadly don't value those things.
Early Maths is anything but likely to lead to a good job; it is more likely to lead to confusion and a distaste for Maths.

I was very privileged to hear someone very eminent from Finland ( pretty much the only country to be actually rising in Maths performance year on year) speak to a high-level audience last week: his main advice? Let your children play for longer, and do less formal learning earlier. As you said in another thread - banging your head against a brick wall. This one is mine. :(
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now