SATS

Key Stages 1-2 and SATs advice

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Mel

SATS

Post by Mel »

Can anyone recommend a web site that offers free downloads of SATS papers for Key stage 2 particuarly interested in English

Would appreciate any help

Mel

Post by Guest »

I've just spent the last yr preparing my child for grammar/independent school tests. I've decided not to resume the effort for the SATS because of this. I may go over a few things but not much. Any comments?

Post by Guest »

I agree totally, I think they've probably had enough revision after all the 11+

I think if they've done well all through Primary, that the SATS shouldn't need much revision.

I've got a cd rom that covers stage 2 sats spelling, word puzzles, maths and science

So going to get her to do about an hour every Monday from tonight until SATS.

What does everyone else think?

She is more bothered about finding out if she's got her Grammar place in March lol!

Footymad.

Post by Guest »

We're awaiting grammar school results too. How unfortunate that due to sheer numbes simply passing your 11+ no longer secures a place.

Once a week seems reasonable. However, you might find a quick word with her form teacher useful. My child's school has just carried out pre-assessments of each child's level. I now know I can focus on less with my child at home.

All the best.

Post by Guest »

Is the highest SATS level 5A? I thought level 6 was possible i.e. an
extended paper.

Post by Guest »

I think that they have changed it in recent years so that children of 10-11 only go up to level 5A. I am not going to do any work with my child as she has been predicted 5a for Maths and English, so why worry her with extra work? The school did tests with them before christmas and she got level 5A then. I want to give her a bit of a rest now. She has worked hard for her entrance tests - hopefully the offers will now start rolling in ( :wink: ) and her sats should be just a formality.

(I can't believe I just wrote that rubbish!)
Guessed

SATS Revision

Post by Guessed »

Anonymous wrote:I've just spent the last yr preparing my child for grammar/independent school tests. I've decided not to resume the effort for the SATS because of this. I may go over a few things but not much. Any comments?
I have no intention of tutoring my child to sit the SATS tests. SATS are a measure of the school and any 'revision' work should be done at school by the teachers. My child has worked long and hard to sit the 11+ and deserves a break from 'studying'. These children are only 10 or 11 and should be given the chance to be children for a little longer. Let school work stay at school and let them take part in their other activities/interests and PLAY. I assume they are still allowed to play?
ken

Sats ks2

Post by ken »

I totally agree, our children have worked very hard and the sats seems so irrelevant at the moment. We are so worn out from the effort parent and children also we are worried about the result so to me sitting down and preparing for another test seems ludicrous. I know it is important they do well, but is seems it is more for the school, so let them
do the work.

Post by Guest »

I think SATs are for the school - when the child gets to secondary school they spend the first term testing them anyway, so SATs are only so that the primary school can look good. I think that SATs have become a promotional exercise for the school to ensure that they get lots of the best type of applicants. If a school can get 100% across the board, you have parents fighting to get their bright children in. Someone I know even appealed at age 4 because their child didn't get a place at a "100% across the board" school. Her argument was that her child was very bright, and so couldn't possibly go to the local school. Very odd. She was successful too.

It later came out that the headteacher had been telling the children the answers to the questions, and that was why they did so well!! (They are much stricter about it now).

I think you have to ask the question how can they get 100% when there are always going to be some children with problems and difficulties. It is a bit unrealistic. They teach to the test - I want my child to have a well rounded education and I don't care about SATs tests - neither does she.
Essex mum

Post by Essex mum »

I certainly won't be doing anything towards the SAT's with my child. As far as I am concerned they are onlu league tables for the schools. My children have gained nothing from the SAT's previously, so I will leave it up to the school. Afterall if they want their league tables to look good they will be making sure they are getting the best out of the children.