Teacher Assessment vs Externally Marked SATS

Key Stages 1-2 and SATs advice

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

fatbananas

Re: Teacher Assessment vs Externally Marked SATS

Post by fatbananas »

Does that mean that all level three stuff will have been covered in year 3? (and likewise for the other years?)
Seize the day ... before it seizes you.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

It depends!

Level 3 is the 'expected' level for the end of Year 4 but if your child is a KS1 level 3 then they should be getting a level 3 'diet' in Year 3.
fatbananas

Post by fatbananas »

I see, thanks! And can I just get my head round this: If DS was a level 3 at KS1 and a level 3C at end of year 3 (I'm really hoping he's at the top end of the 3C threshold!), am I right in thinking that he 'ought' to jump up 3 sub levels, so should jump through 3b, 3a and then be a 4c by end of year 4?

That will be my last question! Promise!
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

It's a bit unusualt to make no progress and still be 3c - have you asked why?

I would expect a 4c as one level every two years is expected progress.
wonderwoman

Post by wonderwoman »

Progress is being measured in points now - but I have yet to get to grips with it completely. Children should make at least 3 points progress a year that is approximately 1.5 sublevels.
fatbananas wrote:I see, thanks! And can I just get my head round this: If DS was a level 3 at KS1 and a level 3C at end of year 3 (I'm really hoping he's at the top end of the 3C threshold!), am I right in thinking that he 'ought' to jump up 3 sub levels, so should jump through 3b, 3a and then be a 4c by end of year?
3c would mean one point progress, which would be disappointing, but not that unusual in Y3. The school should still aim for 4c in Y4.

Guest55 is quite right the Y5 SATs are generous - by one sublevel on average. It is really hard to assess as a genuine level 5 just based on the papers.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

points = APS and satisfactory progress in a year is 3 points.

level 2b = 15 points
level 2a = 17 points
level 3c = 19
level 3b = 21
level 3a = 23 etc

Remember that in September 'satisfactory' becomes 'requires improvement' so schools need to be looking for more progress.
fatbananas

Post by fatbananas »

Many thanks, Guest 55 and Wonderwoman.

My DS is in the top set with extremely proficient, kumoned kids at the top end and those who've had none of that (like DS) at the bottom. I think it's a struggle to accommodate that. I only hope that the 'requires improvement' will not mean he's moved down (because I worry about what that will do for his confidence), whilst actually focussing on that end of the class for a change.
wonderwoman

Post by wonderwoman »

'requires improvement' refers to the school and the teaching, not the pupil.

In our school we aim for at least 4 points progress and if pupils are not on track to make that progress by the end of the year, we (the teachers) have to put measures in place to ensure pupils do make progress. It may be working with a teaching assistant; an intervention program; different work to plug identified gaps etc.

I have to say I have been teaching since the National Curriculum was introduced in 1989. I have always tracked and identified pupils who are making less than adequate progress. This should not be new to teachers. Points are new (2 for each sublevel) and Ofsted does keep moving the goal posts so what was satisfactory is no longer.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

APS has been around for years ... it's much easier to work with numbers on a speadsheet.

Some schools use APS to mean scores in reading, writing and maths averaged which can be misleading as good progress in one area can mask underachievement in another.
wonderwoman

Post by wonderwoman »

Guest55 wrote:APS has been around for years ... it's much easier to work with numbers on a speadsheet.

Some schools use APS to mean scores in reading, writing and maths averaged which can be misleading as good progress in one area can mask underachievement in another.
Yes point scores have been around for ages, but I don't know any primaries that have been too bothered about them for tracking purposes, we've just stuck with sublevels. This year it's all about the points both within the year and across the KS. I suspect parents will hear a lot more about them too.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now