Guided reading and ability groups in Y3 and Y4

Key Stages 1-2 and SATs advice

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
mystery

Re: Guided reading and ability groups in Y3 and Y4

Post by mystery »

Ah now there's a difference. Our school rarely buys new books - they say they have enough. I think the teachers are stuck with a very small selection of books which they have more than one of for guided reading. So I think it's a bit arbitrary what gets used for the texts.

Also the children fight over reference books when they are doing research - there might only be one readable book in the library that is appropriate for the topic and a huge gang of them hoping to use it.

There's also a space issue - for every book they bought they'd probably have to chuck one out.

Every school is different!
wonderwoman

Re: Guided reading and ability groups in Y3 and Y4

Post by wonderwoman »

mystery wrote:Ah now there's a difference. Our school rarely buys new books - they say they have enough. I think the teachers are stuck with a very small selection of books which they have more than one of for guided reading. So I think it's a bit arbitrary what gets used for the texts.

Also the children fight over reference books when they are doing research - there might only be one readable book in the library that is appropriate for the topic and a huge gang of them hoping to use it.

There's also a space issue - for every book they bought they'd probably have to chuck one out.

Every school is different!
:( I don't think you can make a better investment than good quality literature. We do throw books away, if they are dated or damaged and I have asked for a new set of The Odyssey, because they are falling apart.