Are the KS2 SATS results passed on to the new High School

Key Stages 1-2 and SATs advice

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
vasu

Are the KS2 SATS results passed on to the new High School

Post by vasu »

Just idle curiosity :). Other than the parent and the school knowing where the child stands, what are SATS scores for? Do they have any significance in the sets allocated in the high school. Does scoring a few sixes mean anything? Or is it,that the moment child enters high school all his past performance is set aside and the schools tests where the child stands?
Having one child makes you a parent; having two you are a referee.
bravado

Re: Are the KS2 SATS results passed on to the new High Schoo

Post by bravado »

I can't give a definitive answer, only one based upon my experience of when DD1 moved up to "big school" many moons ago. We were told that her SATS results would be used by the new teachers etc but to be honest, I can't see that they were used for any practical purpose because she went into a class that exclusively comprised of "high-fliers" (their words) - they were in an accelerated learning group....allegedly lol! :lol: :lol: Streaming didn't come in at any point so neither past nor current exam results were used. Thinking about it, her negotiating skills and super-fast running proved more useful than her excellent SATS :wink: :x

I've often wondered if it's one of those urban myths put about by schools, to encourage both children and parents to give that little extra push for good SATS results :wink:
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Secondary schools DO get the KS2 test results both the level and the raw score.

All Secondaries are judged on progress from KS2 levels so this is really important data, as a teacher I would be silly not to use it! It's more useful than the 11+ score ...
bravado

Post by bravado »

Thanks Guest55.
I realise that the results are sent to the new school - but I think what I was getting at was that in the past, not all schools have used them, or perhaps not beyond sorting who goes into the "super-class" :D We were told by the new school that they wouldn't use them.

You have me intrigued...may I ask you to clarify, if possible and I want to emphasize that I'm not being "testy"? :D

You say that schools are measured on their progress from KS2 level and then mention that as a teacher, you'd be silly not to use them. I can see that on one level, from the perspective of the "organisation" (school), they're being used for number crunching and dare I say it, league tables. However, how would a teacher use KS2 SATS? Would it be for target-setting? We know from personal experience that there's good and bad in schools and teaching and all that has helped to enrich our decision-making process as parents. So on the back of your reassuring statement that you'd be silly not to use SATS results, may I ask if this is a common approach or something that's desirable but not widespread?
How would a teacher make use of the info if for example, there's no streaming put in place for one specific class...ever..from Year 7 through to 11 cos they are the top stream?
DH has reminded me that our DD1 was allotted a place in the "super-class" before her KS2 SATS results were handed down to us, so that means they didn't use the results for that purpose :?

I have to say that I'm intrigued by the whole process of KS2 SATS results and transitioning, especially after a very interesting discussion with DD2's HM the other day about how the whole reporting process and assigning levels is changing this year.

I totally agree with you as to their usefulness versus 11+ results :D
Amber

Post by Amber »

Two secondary schools I have taught in most recently don't use them. They are recorded, somewhere. My experience, and I appreciate that this differs from that of G55, is that secondary teachers are somewhat sceptical that they reflect a child's 'true ability" and that is certainly my professional experience with the Year 7s I have worked with. My students are 'falling behind' which is why they come to me, so the SATs data is dug out. Fiction, in many cases.

I think DS1's GS might use them to set targets in Year 7. As he joined in Year 8 I don't know, and I don't think the school ever got his. He seems to have made progress somehow without them. :)
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

progress is measured (endlessly) and it is measured from previous results. End of KS2 progress is measured from KS1 sats results, KS3 from KS2 results. GCSE targets from KS3 results, A level from GCSE results and so on..heaven forfend that real life might intrude...DAD left you?, Mum terminally ill? House repossessed? You have nervous breakdown? Nope..numbers say otherwise... ( disillusioned? Moi?)
outofboroughmum

Post by outofboroughmum »

Vasu,
The DC's SAT results are sent off to their secondary schools. Using the SATs result or not will depend on each secondary school. Usually, the Year 6 SATs result is used to put children into sets/groups and set targets until they get to Year 9 (when they used to do Keystage 3 SATs) when they would now have new result to be able to predict the children's GCSE grades.

I informed my DC's HT that I would like to see the folder that was to be sent to the new school and was told I had to wait until July as the SAT result has to be included. On being presented this, I was happy though surprised to see that every single end of year report that had been given for me to sign each year from nursery to year 6 were all included!

I had always been particular about scrutinicing what is written before signing this as some teachers just give generic comments by simply using the computer to changing the name of each child thereby giving children practically the same comment. My children's school knows if a report does not reflect my child's ability and/or personality, I would question this! Thank goodness my DCs are well behaved and bright or I might not have gotten away with this. :wink:

My line here is, as parents, we must never just sign reports without thoroughly going through them as all these are piled up and sent off in a file to their secondary schools who would have formed opinions of the children (especially if they are challenging) before they have even set eyes on them!!! :shock:
mystery

Post by mystery »

Yes I think schools get the SATS results in time for "supersets" or whatever to be decided. I'm pretty sure that it's up to each individual school the purpose to which they put the SATS results. But yes, progress is measured from them. They are all stuffed into RAISE online and used for various calculations.
Amber

Post by Amber »

yoyo123 wrote:progress is measured (endlessly) and it is measured from previous results. End of KS2 progress is measured from KS1 sats results, KS3 from KS2 results. GCSE targets from KS3 results, A level from GCSE results and so on..heaven forfend that real life might intrude...DAD left you?, Mum terminally ill? House repossessed? You have nervous breakdown? Nope..numbers say otherwise... ( disillusioned? Moi?)
You already know I agree, yoyo. And can I once again plug Gert Biesta's excellent pamphlet 'Good Education in an Age of Measurement', which is a feel-good text for anyone concerned about what education is actually for?
slough mum

Post by slough mum »

I am applying for my DC to to go to a grammar school starting next year in year 9. But the GS require my DC sats at the end of year 6. I have been digging around and can't seem to find them. Are the key stage 2 results marked externally and by whom, so that I can obtain a copy of the certificate. (I don't even remember seeing one). Did anyone receive a certificate?

Or will the Grammar school contact the my dc primary school and obtain a copy of the results?