Level 6 SATS.

Key Stages 1-2 and SATs advice

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
yoyo123

Re: Level 6 SATS.

Post by yoyo123 »

just had to add that leaping from one side of the class switching between counting in 'teens' to getting children to work out a formula, extrapolating to the nth term is challenging, but is why I love my job!

(PS got some fantastic tips for the ultimate BLT sandwich, from a 9 year old on the coach back from swimming today, ..4 rashers, 2 smoked, 2 not, mayonnnaise spread evenly and it has to be crispy lettuce and french bread) ..you never stop learning!
JRM

Post by JRM »

yoyo123 wrote:Fantastic!

I still look up at motorway bridges when I drive along, looking for the expansion joints..(46 years on :oops: :oops:) after we did a topic on roads in year 5 ( 3rd yr juniors in old money) we made a paper mache model of a junction, learnt all about macadam and how roads are constructed.. again still look when they are resurfacing for all the layers..

maybe I was a strange child, but being involved totally in what you are learning is fantastic!

Made me what I am ( jury is out over whether that is a bonus!)
We went to the national stone centre in Derbyshire in the Summer. They have a circular core taken out of the M1 to show all the layers it is made up of. I nearly walked past thinking it was just a random lump of concrete, but when I realised and looked more closely it was fascinating. I think you should take a trip there. The little ones went panning for gemstones outside and absolutely loved it.
The more that you read, the more things you will know.
The more that you learn, the more places you'll go.
Dr Seuss
YourChildrenSuccess

Post by YourChildrenSuccess »

Pumpkin Pie wrote: I would love my DD to do well, but as I got such a NEGATIVE result at parents evening regarding my DD and the 11+ (teacher totally ignored me when I mentioned she had done well, and I wanted to say that her excellent school work was due to home tutoring leading up to the 11+, but alas I was cut off!), I feel should we really bother?!! :roll:
My gosh, its the same in my DC school - quite anti 11+ .
Pumpkin Pie wrote: I'm a little confused with SAT's. Should we just leave it up to the school to do the tutoring for this? Or are we expected to prepare our DC for them? Do the results really matter to us, or is it the school that benefits?
I have come to the conclusion that the school will only provide between 25% to 50% of my child's learning needs - I have stopped asking whether I should leave it to the school ... I have decided that it is up to me to fill up that 50% - 65% shortfall and just tutor my child. That way I just save myself from sending moaning emails to parents class email list! Big mistake to moan to the class parents list - some parents are quick to label you as pushy parent!
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig, you get dirty; and besides, the pig likes it" - George Bernard Shaw
mystery

Post by mystery »

I guess it's tricky for a teacher to know what to say about the 11plus. They can't really congratulate brains because children were just given those. If they congratulate hard work for the 11plus that would be better -- but they don't really know what effort a child put in, and also, technically we are supposed to think they are a test of brains not application so that's not quite right either. So maybe they are safer just doing what they seem to do at your school and not mentioning it at school at all. This has less potential for upsetting others too who either did not feel they could even enter it, or did so and failed.

I'm with you on your final paragraph. However, this does very much vary according to the school your child is at, and sometimes maybe even just their personal experience at the school due to various factors. Like you, I will have to learn when my turn comes to avoid caring about the label "pushy parent" that some may choose to give. In fact, I would rather have that label than talk to other parents afterwards who haven't done a thing and hear them say they wish they had, and feel guilty that I didn't mention that I was going to try and do something towards the 11plus.

I find that the reactions one gets from people on here, even though only virtual, are good practice for facing disapproval in the real world!
Pumpkin Pie

Post by Pumpkin Pie »

DD just told me today that her teacher told them not to be looking at and doing previous years SAT's papers at home.

Oops, bit late for that now......we've already looked at a couple and had a go!

Anyone else had a go at them too?
moved

Post by moved »

There has only been one year for the L6 paper. 2011 was an old single level secondary test that was never used.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

There are the very old level 6 ones on http://www.emaths.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; before they were phased out.
moved

Post by moved »

True, but they don't represent the current curriculum, nor the current tests from what I've seen.
ginx

Post by ginx »

YCS, I think my dd's school teach her most things; we don't do extra work (apart from nagging her to do hwk and going through it). Yes, we did a little practice for the 11+, but otherwise I trust school to teach her what she needs to know.

Am I the only one to have faith in teachers? (No, I'm not a teacher!) Dd goes to a good (but not spectacularly good) state school. I believe her teachers do a good job.

Different matter at secondary school, though. So many children and they all need some help.
Pumpkin Pie

Post by Pumpkin Pie »

ginx wrote: Different matter at secondary school, though. So many children and they all need some help.
Once they hit Secondary School, that's where I have stopped helping. I believe they are now old enough to get on with it themselves. :D
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now