Level Six English Paper

Key Stages 1-2 and SATs advice

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
mystery

Re: Level Six English Paper

Post by mystery »

Jean.Brodie wrote: When I taught Year 7s in a secondary school, I knew within weeks who had 'that certain something' and who did not. Teachers generally know without looking at the data sent from primary schools. This data is also often treated with scepticism.
I know what you mean Jean, but that kind of comment also worries me - the bit about knowing the "certain something" within weeks that is.
BusyQueenBee

Post by BusyQueenBee »

According to a website, the calendar for 2013 is:
Date Level 3-5 tests* Level 6 tests*
13/05/2013 English - Reading Test English - Reading Test
14/05/2013 English - Grammar, Punctuation & Spelling Test English - Grammar, Punctuation & Spelling Test
15/05/2013 Maths - Mental Maths Test
Maths - Test A
16/05/2013 Maths - Test B Maths - Paper 1 and Maths - Paper 2

Does this mean that a child will sit level 5 and 6 in the same day? Hard to believe!
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

mystery wrote:
Jean.Brodie wrote: When I taught Year 7s in a secondary school, I knew within weeks who had 'that certain something' and who did not. Teachers generally know without looking at the data sent from primary schools. This data is also often treated with scepticism.
I know what you mean Jean, but that kind of comment also worries me - the bit about knowing the "certain something" within weeks that is.
With DD in year six, this sort of comment worries me too. My DD is shy, the first term in a new year and the teacher barely gets anything out of her, form an opinion of her which is then difficult to change and are surprised at the end of the year when she does well in the end of year tests. Year 4 was the exception. Why? Because her form teacher had taught her set for maths the year before. DD made amazing progress that year, because right from the start the teacher knew exactly what my DD was like. Her teacher was very confident that DD would get into GS and in fact said it would suit her better than our catchment school.
Beginning of Year 5 her teacher said she wasn't. By the end of year 5 he had changed his mind.

We got DDs 11+ score the day before the first parents evening this year :D so not much he could say except well done. She has also had this teacher before so has settled quickly.

I'm hoping that at secondary school my DD will be better at settling each year, especially with even more new teachers to deal with.

Back on topic. DDS school seem to be working towards level 6 for maths, but no idea whether English is being considered. Personally I'm not too bothered either way. I know a few secondary school teachers who have told me not to worry about them, secondary schools don't really care
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Yes I have seen the level 6 papers - I'm a Secondary teacher!

The maths were too easy - far too much scaffolding for 'real' level 6.

Primaries are only thinking about boosting their APS scores - so many pupils 'failed' them that you have to ask why bright pupils are being allowed to leave Primary thinking they are failures.

We get the KS2 test scores anyway - obviously marks in the 90s are going to tell us the 'good' level5s already.
JRM

Post by JRM »

Well we did parents evening. And the teacher did say that after Christmas they would do some separate group work on how to answer those particular types of questions. But DS threw her by saying that of the 2 practice papers he had done he done the 3-5 one harder than the level 6 one. She made a note to talk to him and try and work out why. My bet is on him just being awkward :-)
The more that you read, the more things you will know.
The more that you learn, the more places you'll go.
Dr Seuss
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Primary school teacher are not trained to teach the new Secondary curriculum. My experience already this term is some massive 'unlearning' for some pupils of methods that will fail later e.g. not using the multiplicative method for percentages.
wonderwoman

Post by wonderwoman »

My problem with level 6 English in primary, even for exceedingly talented pupils, is that it can't possibly be comparable to a level 6 at KS3, because Y6 children lack the maturity and life experience to bring to their reading and writing. That is not to say that they do not have talent and ability - but to measure it in this way does not recognise that talent.

And I agree with G55 re maths - getting 100% on level 3-5 maths SAT might mean the child is brilliant at maths, but might also mean they are quite good - there just aren't enough level 5 questions.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Guest 55, please can you say what you mean by the "multipl... method for percentages" and what primary schools use instead? Cheers.
Mindset

Post by Mindset »

This is my second *cynicism alert* in a month. I must stop this!

I genuinely believe that level 6 SATs at KS2 are more to do with schools than children. A school is judged on what progress the children make - 2/3 of a level a year is expected. So over 4 years at KS2 a child should make 8/3 levels of progress- so 2b to 5c might be typical of 'normal' progress.

Once a child has made their 8/3 level of progress, the box is ticked and the school has nothing to gain from them making any more. For this reason, a child that performed modestly at the end of KS1 and then makes their real progress in KS2 may not be entered for the higher paper; they have satisfied the school's target needs. A child who performs well at the end of KS1 is far more likely to be entered as without the higher paper the school can't demonstrate the 8/3 levels have been made.

Consequently, at my son's school last year (fumbled through KS1, got low levels, flew through KS2, finished pretty much top) he wasn't entered for L6 despite far outperforming many (early fliers, then plateau-ers) who were. His Y6 teacher was furious and said "it's all about hitting targets".

This doesn't explain a school's blanket ban on L6 papers- unless of course no-one was given a TA of over 3c in Y2. If this is the case, the school would have no need in anyone sitting the papers.
JRM

Post by JRM »

I'm sure that they are more to do with the school than the pupils. Here, Ofsted regularly comment that they don't challenge the more able students so I believe this will be a way that school try and demonstrate that they do. But if it is a school that are going down the level 6 papers route, then I would at least hope that they would be fair in who they enter. It's all very well saying that they don't matter to the chidlren, but if a capable child isn't entered where others are then it will knock their confidence.
The more that you read, the more things you will know.
The more that you learn, the more places you'll go.
Dr Seuss