SATS RESULTS

Key Stages 1-2 and SATs advice

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Kaz

Post by Kaz »

Hi

Katel why do you keep repeating the same argument. Countless people have told you SATS matter. They may not at your childs school but many others use these to stream at start of year 7 whether we like it or not. It's almost like you are accusing us of lying.
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

Here's some examples of how grammars determine individual pupil targets, and how they take KS2 SATs results into account:

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... php?t=2974
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Guest - there are assessments for able pupils considered to be above level 5 - ask your school why your child did not do them.

Katel - you are wrong the levels DO matter for the child whatever your personal opinion, KS3 targets are set on the basis of these levels - some Comprehensoves stream on the basis of these levels.
Azzurri

Post by Azzurri »

When most of us were at school SATS tests did not exist.They are just extra tests that the goverment decided introduce to see how well most kids fare at the ages of 7.11 and 14,as you well know.There has be talk to abolish these tests as kids are tested too much nowadays,which may be a good thing or bad depending on what you all personally think about them.
To get to the point,I kind of agree with Katel,it's such a shame that we all get worried about these tests and we all want our children to get as high a level as possible.The pressure doesn't stop right up to GCSE'S.I am not worried about the SATS.My daughter is a solid level 4 in all three subjects and I'm very happy with that.If she gets a level 5 in any of her results it will be a bonus.I just found out that she will not be tested in the KS3 SATS, one less thing to worry about!
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

As shown in my link above, in my child's grammar, the SATs results are taken into account, but the targets are adjusted regularly, and I would expect it be the case in any good school. So in a long term, both the SATs and CATs results play only a small part in the assessed targets.

Post by Guest »

Our school have not supplied the English results either - saying they are to follow. No mention of the September date though. Other schools in the area have received theirs.

CLP

Post by Guest »

Anonymous wrote:I keep reading this on the forum that the SATS are a test of the teacher and not the child. Can you please explain this? I thought if a child does not have the knowledge to answer the tests questions, then he/she will attain a lower level. So how is it not a test of the child's knowledge and understanding especially as results get sent to the secondary school
In my child's school, there are many children for whom SATS is the only tests that they will ever do. I know the parents don't do anything else with their children( extra help, extra curricular ,music) as they are working, do not have the abilityacademically or cannot afford it.

Besides teachers' assessments, there are no other official national tests to grade them to an average.

There are many disadvantages and advantages to SATS but I do feel that generally, there is a use for them. Perhaps, it is how they are prepared,administered and results conveyed to parents and children, that there is a tendency for it be to be viewed favourably or unfavourably.

If you have a negative take on it(teachers announcing results publicly,children boasting about their results or ability compared to their peers), you will think that SATS is pointless or even harmful to a child's confidence.

To many other parents whose children are already at level 6 for the required subjects, the KS2 SATS will be not a true marker of their ability,so they may view it as pointless.

But I don't see it totally as an assessment of teachers. There are so many other factors as to whether a child is learning other than teacher input(although it is a major chunk!!)

My views entirely.

Post by Guest »

Hi there, I would just like to put my little input!!
In my opinion SATs are very important, primarily to me, they are important for an able student whom didnt get a place, for whatever reason, at Grammar.
That child therefore has to attend a comprehensive school, which if in a selective area means the school isnt quite fully comprehensive, more so, predominantly lower ability.
I know assesments can be made once they are at school but I feel the SATs are paramount to putting the child amongst as many similarly abled pupils as early as possible.

Post by Guest »

Katel - you are wrong the levels DO matter for the child whatever your personal opinion, KS3 targets are set on the basis of these levels - some Comprehensoves stream on the basis of these levels.
Children in my childs comprehensive are initially placed in classes dependent upon SATS results although there is scope for movement later on. However, predicted KS3 scores are set in stone and calculated from KS2 results. These are used to calculate value added for the school. Despite my child coming to the end of year 8 these results are still following him around the school!!
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

That's interesting! I would have thought that a school would try to raise personal targets if possible. After all, a child who starts with a low KS2 score but is able to improve further than the original target is very good for the school value-added.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now