Level 3 KS1

Key Stages 1-2 and SATs advice

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
mystery

Re: Level 3 KS1

Post by mystery »

Yes I can see that in this situation behaviour would be a concern. Also, it's a matter of not having the same opportunity to learn at school as others. It would seem to me that if one turns up at school already understanding all the maths that is presented to you, you are not learning to learn new maths in a class situation.

It might be wise to encourage your son to misbehave everytime he has finished the easy work and then to explain for himself very clearly to the teacher the reason why he is misbehaving - sorry miss, I don't really know what to do when I've finished, I'm bored out of my skull in maths, the devil makes work for idle hands etc etc. This is far more likely to have an effect than you asking the teacher for more.

Many a true word is spoken in jest. :wink:
JRM

Post by JRM »

Many a true word indeed.

DD is repeating work, down to the exact same worksheet she used last year due to a change in the organisation of the classes. School aren't interested. DD came home really upset last week because X got the chance to do some fun harder maths. And the reason for this? X had forgotten her pe kit. When everyone else does this they have to write lines, but because X is often very naughty they gave her something fun to do to stop her misbehaving. DD wants to know why does she get to do more maths just because hse is naughty.
The more that you read, the more things you will know.
The more that you learn, the more places you'll go.
Dr Seuss
mystery

Post by mystery »

Maybe maths is viewed as a punishment at your school?
JRM

Post by JRM »

That would be a helpful attitude wouldn't it? I think it was actually supposed to be fun for her as she got to work on an Ipad with one of the year 6s. I'm sure it was better for her than writing lines, but the injustice to a DD who loves maths and is very frustrated at school made for pre-teen stroppiness at home.
The more that you read, the more things you will know.
The more that you learn, the more places you'll go.
Dr Seuss
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now