date for sats results

Key Stages 1-2 and SATs advice

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

katel

Re: date for sats results

Post by katel »

I understand about setting, but most secondary schools don;t use SATS - or at least, use them with a lot of other data too.

And are all level 5 students "like minded"?
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

sats are used to predict targets in the same way as in KS2, the school has to show that the child is making adequate progress. They may use their own assessment tests for setting.

http://www.education.gov.uk/performance ... 4/k4.shtml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
katel

Post by katel »

But I don't understand why you would worry about SATS results because secondary schools use them to predict GCSE results. As you say, the school needs to make sure that a child makes adequate progress - it's not saying "this child only got a 4b at KS2 SATS, so they can't get higher than a B at GCSE". It's saying "This child got a 5 at KS2 SATS, so we expect him to get an A at GCSE - and if we do our job properly that's what he'll get" That doesn;t mean that people who don;t get 5s won't get As as well.
tokyonambu

Post by tokyonambu »

yoyo123 wrote:sats are used to predict targets in the same way as in KS2, the school has to show that the child is making adequate progress. They may use their own assessment tests for setting.

http://www.education.gov.uk/performance ... 4/k4.shtml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
A document from 2004 discussing how to calculate KS3-KS2 CVA, which no longer exists, based on KS3 tests, which no longer exist. And KS4-KS2 CVA measurements are of no relevance to individual children, and only tangential interest to parents who have children in the school (you might decide to withdraw your children midway through their 11-16 education if the overall KS4-KS2 CVA were terrible, but of course the better your child's KS2 results, the lower the KS4-KS2 CVA a school can attain). And there never were KS5-KS2 CVAs. That CVA exists is interesting as a measure of a school, but its relevance to individual children is hard to imagine.

There are some schools, apparently, which set based on KS2 SATs. I'd like to hear that from the secondaries, because it sounds like a tale that primaries would tell to encourage parents to believe KS2 SATs matter. But if they do it's incredibly coarse grained, and unlikely to be either accurate or long-lasting. And as 25% of primaries boycotted the tests last year, and more this year, with a large number of local authorities making null returns, there must be some secondaries rather pondering where to get their misleading and not fit for purpose data from this year.
push-pull-mum

Post by push-pull-mum »

push-pull-mum wrote:
beentherebefore wrote:KS2 results are used by secondary schools to predict outcomes at GCSE, I know that seems a long way away but there you go
Argh :shock: :shock: Don't go there! Several good threads have gone bad because some poor soul (usually me :oops: ) dares to mention this.
Take my advice and delete this post - or else deregister and come back under an assumed forumname (I would suggest completelynonpushydon'tcareatallaboutanyexamsbutthe11plusandcertainselectivetestsfortoptenindiesnongenderedparent101)
I know it's bad manners to quote your own posts but why oh why does no one ever listen to me?

This subject has been dealt with - ad nauseum - in another thread.

This thread - which has been in existence for a long long time - is about the date for sats results. Can we leave everything else out of it?
pheasantchick

Post by pheasantchick »

My ds told me that his teacher would get the result pnline next Tuesday.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now