When are sats this year?

Key Stages 1-2 and SATs advice

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
pof4

Re: When are sats this year?

Post by pof4 »

Schools had a deadline (Friday 30 November 2012) to register/indicate children for level 6 tests, so that enough test papers could be ordered. In the week or two following up to this deadline, many schools ran mock sats to help indicate potential level 6 children. The number of level 6 papers ordered is always greater than the number of children who actually go on to sit the real level 6 papers in May, one common reason for this is due to the fact that children have already practiced recent past papers at home. My DC recently commented on how many class members achieved 100% in the last set of mocks.

If a school is administering both the Level 3-5 and Level 6 test in a subject the Level 3-5 test must be administered first. However, the Standards and Testing Agency recommends administering level 3-5 in the morning, and level 6 in the afternoon (DFE) - this accounts for timetable variation across schools. Yes, you're right there should only be one timetable for both levels.
hth
countrymum

Post by countrymum »

Thanks very much for the information. Well I've done a bit of digging and seems most level 6 papers have to be taken on the same day as level 5. I think a particular school can apply for something called a 'timetable variation' for eg sickness so thats possibly when it could be done on a different day?

Seems also if a child had a bad morning and got a 4 on the 3-5 and then a 6 on the level 6 they would be awarded the 4. Don't think I knew that.

Thanks again.
fizzypops

Post by fizzypops »

My DD's teacher said that SATS were commencing 13 May this year; but that is, I think, the London statistics.
FP Fizzypops
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

All school do the KS2 tests at the same time all over England.

Timetable variations won't be allowed just to move the level 6 papers to another day.
countrymum

Post by countrymum »

Seemingly they did the level 6 the following week last year. Although I know they are only half hour papers, I would think that much fairer on the (probably) already tired children.
Okanagan

Post by Okanagan »

Although those who will be doing the level 6 are probably the type of children who actually enjoy tests.
countrymum

Post by countrymum »

True! Seems I have produced one of those such types :lol:

*Though to make it all fair and equal, I have also produced another one that can't abide the things :lol:
moved

Post by moved »

Schools complained last year as the level 6 tests interfered with their school trips. Lots of papers were shipped to the Isle of Wight!
Amber

Post by Amber »

Okanagan wrote:Although those who will be doing the level 6 are probably the type of children who actually enjoy tests.
Why do people say this? My son had to do them last year along with several others at his school and not one of them 'enjoyed' the experience. What 'type' of children enjoy tests? Perhaps those who get a huge kick out of feeling they are better than others?

He rather 'enjoyed' seeing that he had supposedly attained the level 6; briefly at least. He's just managed to 're-attain' it, a little more realistically this time, after a term and a half at grammar school. :wink:
Okanagan

Post by Okanagan »

I've got one who has to see everything as a competition and loves tests, competitive sport, etc, but lacks motivation for anything where there's not a clear measure of success. And another who is completely the opposite. I suspect it's just something inbuilt into the character of some people.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now