SATS predicted scores

Key Stages 1-2 and SATs advice

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Catherine

SATS predicted scores

Post by Catherine »

I have a friend who has been given different predicted scores by the class teacher and the head teacher.
Does anyone know whether schools have to give official predictions, who is involved and when it is done?
Mel

Post by Mel »

Hello Catherine!

I want to know what the SATS scores are? A friend of mine from anoher school talks about a, b or c, but in our school it's 4 or 5? With no letters mentioned?

As my daughter has never done SATS before I am in the dark about them!!
She is doing year 6 SATS!

Mel
HP

Post by HP »

Hi Mel,

SATS are done at KS1 (end of Year2), KS2 (end of Year 6) and KS3 (end of Year 9 - I think!)

Levels aimed at are 1 level per 2 years for the average and are graded as follows:

1c, 1b, 1a (a being the highest)
2c,2b,2a
3c,3b,3a and so on
At KS1 SATS (ie end Year 2) - Level 2b is average.
Year 4 expected attainment would be Level 3b,
KS2 SATS at end of Year 6 expected attainment is Level 4b which is quoted as the Governments minimum target level. Any child acheiving level 5c, 5b or 5a or above is obviously well above average.

Hope this helps.

HP
guest678

predicted sats scores

Post by guest678 »

Hi, my child attained level 4 sats at the end of year 3. They had moved from state to independent sector at beginning of year 3. SATS at year 2 in state primary were level 3. Not sure how these levels work as we are not given huge amount of information, thought sats level was determined by end of term exams at school, is this how it is normally determined? How can you tell in years 3, 4 and 5 what levels they are achieving and are we entitled to that information? Only published results at school are in years 2 and 6. How can you determine if you are on target for level 5? Sorry for seeming so dim, but I had never considered SATS as indicator of ability as system seemed so flawed and 11plus is such a distinctive form of exam that very bright children fail if they haven't been "tutored" properly to pass. The two types of exams just don't seem to complement each other at all.
Jezebel

Post by Jezebel »

In the May of each year some schools use what is called 'optional SATs' in Years 3, 4 and 5, which enables teachers to track pupils progress as they move through KS 2. These give results from Level 2-5. Most pupils will achieve Level 2 at the end of KS1 and Level 4 at the end of KS2 - try not to get hung up on the sublevels (a,b and c).
In Year 6 teachers will use previous results, mock Yr 6 SATs results and ongoingteacher assessment to predict levels and give a teacher assessment. In my experience as a Year 6 teacher, the teacher assessment is usually more accurate and fair than the actual tests, as so many other factors come in when you sit a 10/11 year down to do a formal test.
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

Hi Jezebel,

As you are a year 6 teacher, you may be able to answer to my original questions:
-are the schools required to give official predictions?
-who is involved (teacher, headteacher)?
-when is it done? (Spring term, just before SATS?)

Regards

Catherine
Last edited by Catherine on Thu Mar 30, 2006 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

Hello Mel,

I think that HP explained everything :D :D

Hello guest678,

Level 4 SATS scores at the end of year 3 are excellent; This is the expected level for year 6 SATS. Your child is well on target for level 5 in year 6.

I agree that SATS and 11+ are very different exams. Good mock SATS results in early years show a high academic potential, but school studies need to be complemented by some from of preparartion for the 11+, paticularly if the exams comprises subjects like VR and NVR that are not part of the curriculum.

Post by Guest »

Hi Catherine,
Sorry to not respond to your original reply - was responding to someone later in the thread!
Year 6 teachers DO have to make a formal teacher assessment of KS2 levels which they must send to QCA by just before the end of summer term. These should be shared with the parents when the results of the SATs are published. Many teachers (not usually Headteachers!) will also have made a prediction of which level pupils will achieve in the SATs test, although this may or may not be shared with parents - it is not obligatory. I have done my predictions for my class this year based on a number of factors as listed above.
Hope this helps. By the way, I'm not skiving today, just off to a course!
Jez
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

Thank for your answer, Jez.

I understand from your post that year 6 teachers have to give their formal assessment after the SATS are done but before the results.
So these assessments can be slightly different from the predictions done at this time of the year. Is this right?
Are the formal assesments done by the class teacher or the head?
In a situation where they give different predictions, I was wondering who would have the final word!

Post by Guest »

Thank you everyone for your help!
My daughter has been predicted 5s in her SATS which is now a lot clearer.
They have done some 'mock' papers in the last few weeks, and my daughter thought they were a doddle, as the qualifying mark for a level 5 was quite low??? (This is only what she told me!)

I too, agree that SATS and 11+ are totally different. My friend's son failed the 11+ last year, and went to the local secondary modern school. The head told the parents in a meeting that the school would be working hard to bring the pupils up to a level 4 at the end of year 7, in readiness for the KS3 SATS. My friend went up to the head at the end of the meeting and told him that there were a few children who had already achieved level 5 (her son got 2 x 5s and 1x 6), and a couple who had got level 6. The head was amazed that they were not at the local grammar.

Says it all really!!

Mel
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now