Talking level 6 criteria

Key Stages 1-2 and SATs advice

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Guest55

Re: Talking level 6 criteria

Post by Guest55 »

No sub levels are given - they can be roughly calculated though.
Hera

Post by Hera »

Guest55 wrote:No sub levels are given - they can be roughly calculated though.
Thanks Guest55 but how can they be roughly calculated and roughly calculated by who? Are you given a percentage or score and what is provided to the secondary schools. Just the level?
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

We get the score so we can work out the sub level - around 93/100 is level 5a.

You just divide the 'gap' between levels into 3 - very unscientific!
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

http://www.education.gov.uk/schools/tea ... 6/ks2-2013" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Schools may also choose to administer level 6 versions of these tests.

Headteachers should consider a child’s expected attainment before entering them for the level 6 tests as they should already be demonstrating attainment above level 5. The child must achieve a level 5 in the level 3-5 test and pass the corresponding level 6 test in the same year to be awarded an overall level 6 result. If the child does not pass the level 6 test they will be awarded the level achieved in the level 3-5 test.
wonderwoman

Post by wonderwoman »

bel wrote:What I didn't realise was that with the English tests you get given a level for each individual paper. So you could in theory get a level 6 for comprehension but a 5 for grammar. Also there is no written essay for either the level 5 or level 6 papers, however the kids are given a teacher assessment mark for the writing. Would they assess that on one specific piece of work or on work done over the year? If I have understood this wrongly could someone put me straight? Thanks.
The teacher will assess writing through the year and give a level based on these assessments. It will record the level the child works at - not an individual piece, which could be either unusually good or a poor piece.
countrymum

Post by countrymum »

Apologies to harp on about this 'level 6' on the op's thread

Does anyone have any figures/information on how many children, % or otherwise of DC's who took the level 6 English last year actually achieved it. I keep hearing is a tough one to get, perhaps even tougher than the Maths, but don't have any actual facts/figures. I appreciate is a bit different this year, though again don't know if that means is even harder to achieve, or less so.

Thanks.
Pumpkin Pie

Post by Pumpkin Pie »

The 2012 Primary School Performance Tables show that:

27% of pupils nationally achieved Level 5 or above in KS2 English and maths tests. (The corresponding figure for reading and maths tests and teacher assessment in writing combined is 20% – a writing test was not administered in 2012, so creating comparability issues between results in 2011 and 2012.)
In individual subject areas, the percentage of learners achieving Level 5 or above in English overall is 38%, in reading only it is 48% and in maths it is 39%;
The proportion of pupils achieving Level 6 through the new KS2 level 6 tests is not given in the Performance Tables but we know from other published data that 900 pupils achieved Level 6 in the KS2 reading test and 19,000 did so in the maths test. While the former is significantly lower than 1% of total entries, the latter is equivalent to 3%, so roughly one pupil per class is now achieving Level 6 in maths.

Information taken from the link below:

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q= ... 8540,d.d2k" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
debs2028

Post by debs2028 »

The reason I ask the question is my ds is working between level 5b and 5a , sometimes gets the higher sometimes lower in maths. The teacher has selected some children to take the level 6 paper and they are doing extra work towards this. My ds is not one of them but seems to get similar results to the ones that are.
I had a tutor for my ds to do the 11 plus I asked her to look at whether she thought he was a suitable candidate In case I was overestimating my child's potential ( I am his mum after all), she tested him and said he was easily capable of taking and passing the exam.
I might add it was ds that brought all this up as I would not have known what was going on as he could not understand why children at the same levels as him were doing the higher paper
I met with his teacher who said that she had to justify to the board why she had entered him if he failed and she felt she could not do that with ds
His 11 plus teacher gave him a level 6 paper and he passed it comfortably , I showed the paper to his teacher but she will not take it into account
His teacher seems to have lost his calculator paper he did in feb and has a mark for a paper he did not do at christmas as he was off sick, so am unsure of her ability to pickk the correct students
I do know it is not the end of the world. He can be reassessed in high school etc and I am very tempted to just leave it as it could cause bad feeling in the final months of his time at primary school
This has knocked ds confidence and he feels a sense of unfairness in the whole process as the children doing the higher paper often get lower than him in class tests. I do not understand the teachers attitude
How would you proceed
moved

Post by moved »

A primary head told me that they were putting all secure level 5s in for the test to see what happens, a very different attitude!

I wouldn't worry though as his secondary school will be happier with him coming to them on a 5, as this will help their value added!
countrymum

Post by countrymum »

If you felt passionate enough about it, could you take it further, perhaps get some feedback from the head teacher. My DD is working at 5a's and occasionally misses a mark here and there so gets the 5b. She was a level 3 across the board at the end of KS1. Do you know your sons level at the the end of KS1. I am often told her getting the 3 really justifies her taking the level 6 papers. I can see socially how this level 6 paper taking can cause frictions with pals. My DD was initially one of a group of around 4 doing the level 6s, now it appears she is the only one doing the English and I think maybe her and another one doing the maths. Luckily no friendship issues though they all just get on with it. Good luck.

I am learning as I go with this level stuff, but would assume any child working comfortably and consistently at level 5a/b would be put in for the level 6 papers? I am not a fan of them though it has to be said.

Pumpkin pie, thanks for all that information, very interesting read.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now