Sats week!

Key Stages 1-2 and SATs advice

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Rob Clark

Re: Sats week!

Post by Rob Clark »

SATs are meant to be an assessment of how a child is doing at school aren't they? Quite clearly if all our DCs are spending hours and hours practising SATs papers then they are performing no such function; all they are doing is testing how well schools are teaching DCs how to pass SATs papers. Quite pointless. I would much prefer that they were learning new stuff rather than going over and over old stuff :roll:

A question for all posters with older DCs – can you honestly remember what your children got in Y7 SATs? I haven't got the faintest idea how my Y12 did 5 years ago. Amber you have a Y12 one too, don't you? Can you remember what she got in Y7? :D
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

I have too, Rob, and I can remember because she wouldn't have qualified for taking the 12 plus by a couple of marks on one paper. Not that it's made any difference in the long run, or would have made any difference then. What's possibly more worrying is that I'm not sure what my year 7 DS got last year in some of the subjects (it's more complicated now with teacher assessments, reading, writing etc etc - or was it the same then, I haven't a clue. Laid back parent :D - I wish).
scary mum
Amber

Post by Amber »

As I have posted on here before, my DD didn't get level 5s in Maths and Science. We did no practice whatsoever at home as I refuse to turn home into school. She did
Maths GCSE a year early and got A*, got A* in all 3 science GCSEs. Chill out ginx and others, they really don't matter and they really don't predict anything at all.
Pumpkin Pie

Post by Pumpkin Pie »

Does anyone know how the Level 6 English is being marked. My DD sat the reading paper yesterday and the SPAG test today. However, she told me that some children only sat the reading paper and not today's SPAG test. I thought that to get a Level 6 surely both papers must be sat. Are they being marked separately?
moved

Post by moved »

Reading and SPaG are as separate as maths and reading.

To get level 6 on any of the tests a child has to get a 5 on its 3-5 counterpart.
countrymum

Post by countrymum »

Belinda wrote:
Just because a parent chooses not to 'revise' for these SATS, does not mean that they don't wish their children to work hard at school (all year). And it certainly doesn't mean any of such children are not supported wholeheartedly in their learning, be it at school, or at home.

Mine didn't overly fret about them, nor did I, and maybe the school didn't either... and any additional hype these days is not a reflection of what, when and how children will progress in secondary school. Too many other factors come into play. From what I've read on here from respected teachers, I'm not sure they acknowledge the results children get in Y6 SATS as being a true reflection of their abilities for varying reasons when they arrive in Y7. It appears to be a measure, and not always a helpful one for secondary schools in cases.

I'm not going to comment on the why's of SATS etc. - plenty of others with expert knowledge on here to do that but, a parent choosing not to make a massive deal with revision for SATS unnecessarily worrying little children have my vote! It's really not that a big a deal for parent or child in Y6.

Not revising for SATS does not equate to not caring about child's educational well-being. The exact opposite can equally be argued. It is important individual children are supported according to their needs and best interests. That means no A levels and uni, but vocational BTEC and employment for some. Not all who sit SATS are destined for academic careers. Equally, not revising for (or caring about) SATS in Y6 doesn't mean a child won't bring home a 1st from Oxford.
Best wishes.
*Like*

Is it Sats week this week :lol:

We have been surprisingly chilled here, DD has done her best (for herself and for her school, she is one of those that likes to please) and as her parent more than happy with that :) We did no real extra revision at home and as I've mentioned before I think the school have very much been concentrating on getting everyone comfortably 'passing' the level 4. She has told me she felt, at times, a little left behind and not 'stretched' and there's been no real level 6 practice at school. Tbh I am much more in favour of a relaxed approach at school than sats booster after/before/during clubs for children.

As has been mentioned countless times on various threads she shall be assessed again at secondary and tbh her 'working at' level means more to me than one test result. Talking of levels, she's one target off a L6c in a subject, if she doesn't get the 6 in her Sats can she still be teacher assessed a 6c in that subject before leaving primary. I've told her not to stress about what I believe not to be a 'true' level 6, getting the 5 means she has made the expected progress so that's great. There seems to be many DCs I know of taking L6 this year.

Good luck to all the DC's!! x
moved

Post by moved »

What will be interesting is the lack of levels from September 2014 and then a test in May 2015 giving children a level from 2-6! I wonder what that will mean to parents.
ahap

Post by ahap »

We're quite chilled at home. The school has done their part. I really don't know much about these things, about whether its for the school or for her. Anyway we went for netball after school to her future secondary school; she is only one who will be going there from her school but she found a new friend already at the session. We walked home and I got carried away and went in to the woods to look for berries as if I'd find those at this time of the year :oops: . The long walk had made me mad; I think... I was happy to see the horses on the other side of the river bank and I also saw a hare. My left ankle still hurts, I forgot what it is called now. I've now had 4 teaspoons of some colourless hard drink- just wanted taste it with a little bit of cola. I don't like it. :x . Goodnight. :wink:
'What we have learned is like a handful of earth; What we have yet to learn is like the whole world.' Auvaiyaar.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

ahap wrote:Anyway we went for netball after school to her future secondary school; she is only one who will be going there from her school but she found a new friend already at the session.
Out-of-school activities certainly carried on regardless for DS1 and DD, and will do for whatever DS2 is doing next year.

This evening I hoped I had misheard (but probably hadn't) when a girl in primary school uniform at the side of the swimming pool - presumably watching a sibling's lesson - said that she wasn't going in for her own lesson, because she was doing SATs...

:roll:
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
ahap

Post by ahap »

I am so relaxed because the school has prepared for these tests to their best I think. So there was no need to worry.
'What we have learned is like a handful of earth; What we have yet to learn is like the whole world.' Auvaiyaar.