Level 5 and 6 reading and spag - workbooks etc

Key Stages 1-2 and SATs advice

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Bobmumof3

Re: Level 5 and 6 reading and spag - workbooks etc

Post by Bobmumof3 »

Gifted & Talented no longer exists. The wonderful government removed all funding!

There is a new category 'potentially more able', which is given to all student who achieved all Level 5s upwards. These have the 'potential' to achieve A grades at GCSE.

Yes potentially level 6 could mean anything from 6.0 to 6.9. But a level 6 at this stage is fantastic whatever. X
ginx

Post by ginx »

Thank you, Bobmumof3. I've finally relaxed about dd2's maths - now just got to see how she copes with everything else (English was her weakest subject at junior school).

It must be useful to have an insight to how this all works. When she got her 5's, they weren't broken into a/b/c, although many dp's on here knew their dc's precise score. I didn't bother asking, maybe she was on a 5a, for example.

It doesn't matter now. :D
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

At my dd's school set tasks are graded so you can get 7A for a piece of work in Y7 in certain subjects especially English. It will be interesting to see how those getting Level 6's in English and Maths do in Y7. Let's hope they don't languish in these subjects not learning anything new. There is such a lot on offer in English that it should not be a problem. DG
ginx

Post by ginx »

I have relaxed a bit ... but when I hear of y7's getting 7A's, I feel worried again! 7A in year 7 sounds brilliant.
moved

Post by moved »

wonderwoman wrote:
ginx wrote:she's been assessed as working at level 6.
That is a very good level. It should mean she achieved level 5, but not level 6. And I would be surprised if your DD's peers who did get level 6 have been assessed as working at level 7.
That isn't quite right.

Achieving level 5 means just tipping into level 5 and achieving level 6 means just tipping into level 6. It does not mean secure in the level.

Personally, I'd rather they were learning for the sake of learning rather than mark grabbing.
moved

Post by moved »

ginx wrote:I have relaxed a bit ... but when I hear of y7's getting 7A's, I feel worried again! 7A in year 7 sounds brilliant.
DD got the end of year English prize in yr 7 in a super selective. From memory she was assessed as 7c.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Any more suggestions please anyone for textbooks and workbooks that are good for level 5 and level 6 SPAG and reading?
MSC

Post by MSC »

Ah, just posted on another thread for the same request for recommendations. I ordered a whole bundle of books, which are mentioned in the replies here. Looks like we are on the same quest Mystery! :)

Tempted to buy the teacher's "manuals", but the total price of £165 made me think a bit! :lol:
"The only one rehab centre that I long to be in, is the 11+ Rehab Centre" a quote by MSC :-)
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now