Level 5 and 6 reading and spag - workbooks etc

Key Stages 1-2 and SATs advice

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Daogroupie

Re: Level 5 and 6 reading and spag - workbooks etc

Post by Daogroupie »

One of my students got 100% in Level 5 and Level 6 Maths and got Level 6 English. And I know three others who got Level 6 English so where did you get the figure that nobody got it? DG
Bobmumof3

Post by Bobmumof3 »

There are decimalised results in fact.
I work at the secondary school where dd attends so I know her scores for every paper. We have to know that to get the sets right.
So I mean 5.0, 5.1, 5.2 etc. the score defines the decimal level.
It's that decimal figure we use to get our benchmarks for every student at KS3 and GCSE.

Obviously I'm in a different position to most!

However all secondaries get the same information so if you wanted to know I'm sure they would tell you.

In fact my dd brought home her forecast/benchmark levels yesterday and her KS2 results were on the report in terms of 6a for maths, 5a for SPG and 5a for reading. But writing was a broad 5 as that is teacher assessed (unless level 6 paper is completed)
Bobmumof3

Post by Bobmumof3 »

There were 3 Level 6's for writing at my daughters primary, 4 level 6's for reading and 6 for writing.

At my Comp there are 23 level 6's for maths (all top set) so the rest of the top set got either 5.8 or 5.9 in their KS2 SATs

Not sure about SPG or reading as I don't teach English!
Bobmumof3

Post by Bobmumof3 »

Sorry I meant 6 for maths!
mystery

Post by mystery »

Ah, so were you referring to good resources for maths at the beginning?

Didn't realise there was a level 6 writing paper - dfe website does not mention that for 2014.

Any good textbooks and workbooks for level 5 and 6 reading and spag anyone please?
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

Collins achieve level 5 reading, is brilliant imo, very colourful, lots of little tasks, and each chapter is broken down clearly. I took my eldest from a 4b/a to a solid 5a with this over the easter holidays, he was just getting bored and lazy and this gave him the nudge. For practice papers, the s and s comprehensions (dont forget the teacher guide), bond and tutor master multi choice purely for 11+ as multi choice compprehension is a nonsense really as it does not allow the child to interpret text or use their imagination.
Cpg have produced a lovely clear set off 3 books, one each for spelling, grammar and punctuation, the message on each page is clear and loud, but very short on practice, so i would do one topic at a time but supplement with internet worksheets. Not so good if the basics are all fully covered, but you may be surprised, eg, all my boys got mixed up between pro nouns and proper nouns !
Smiths challenge books can be v good, but seem to change yearly, last years challenge english was v good, but have not looked at this years, i think they have broken it down into spag now, in line with new sats directive.
Hope this helps, lots of people like first aid in english, but i found it dull, good for lists of spellings etc. though, deffo not one for giving them while you cook dinner.
Hope this helps, i am sure more will follow.
Bobmumof3

Post by Bobmumof3 »

As for books:

Maths we used the past papers available on emaths
Books we used:
Collins level 6 booster workbook (new maths framework)
CGP ks2 maths level 6 study book & question book
Cambridge maths extension activities for year 6

For SPG
Letts KS2 success level 3-6 grammar, punctuation & spelling
Rising stars achieve level 5 grammar, punctuation and spelling (ks2)
Scholastic levels 3-5 grammar, punctuation & spelling tests
Bobmumof3

Post by Bobmumof3 »

Level 6 SPG paper has a written part hence thae ability to get a level 6 in writing
mystery

Post by mystery »

Ah thank you both. Good tips all round.
ginx

Post by ginx »

Hi, Bobmumof3, so the chances are my dd2 is now on a 6.0 and the others are on a 6.9, or she's on a 6c and they're on a 6a or higher.

I wonder if anyone is on a 7? There's a girl in dd2's class who's brilliant at everything, she could easily be on a 7 or even above.

Is there a gifted and talented register or similar at secondary schools? Not that my dd2 will be on it, obviously :lol:
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now