sats tests/ writing on the booklet

Key Stages 1-2 and SATs advice

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
southbucks3

sats tests/ writing on the booklet

Post by southbucks3 »

Yesterday I discovered that ds2 won't write on the sats test reading booklets at school because his teacher "re-uses them". I did not know this until I reprimanded him for the total lack of underlining and highlighting on a test booklet we did at home together. Is this normal? I cannot imagine completing a comprehension without underlining information?
As he has quite prominent tracking problems this means he spends double the time looking for the info back and forth to the question! I have told him I will buy her a spare set of papers, but he is worried about even looking like he us doing the wrong thing amongst his peers.(particularly the bossy girls).
I feel I have been speaking to his teacher so much about his sats lately I am personally apprehensive about approaching her about yet another little problem. :?
kenyancowgirl

Re: sats tests/ writing on the booklet

Post by kenyancowgirl »

I think the school would be in danger of not meeting their duty of care if they didn't photocopy it for him so that he can give his best effort! Assuming the teacher is aware of his tracking difficulties then I cannot see that the teacher should have any issues (particularly if you offered to pay for the copying - which of course they should refuse!) The marking him out as different is harder to address - could the teacher make a few copies and give them out "randomly" muttering something about not having enough real ones?

bless him - it is tough...
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

Surely it is good practise for them all to be highlighting text though? I cannot imagine I ploughed through my own copy of Henry IV part one, without my pencil in hand, underlining whichever bit of nonsense the literacy exam I sat, was demanding I explain for 3 paltry marks!
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

That's outrageous!

Papers should not be reused like this. Go in and talk to the teacher; highlighting and underlining are key skills to learn.
wonderwoman

Post by wonderwoman »

Agree with everyone, it's absolute nonsense. We photocopy.
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

Right, it is inset day tomorrow, I will brace myself and go and address the problem on Monday. Kids can be a bit black and white about things, it may be she said it on one occasion, with a particular booklet, and that has stuck in his mind. She always enlarges things for him if the text is really diddy, so she should be aware that he particularly needs to highlight everything to keep/ find his place.

We did a comp yesterday evening (bribery via a toblerone) and I was pleased to see him scrawling and highlighting to his hearts content, and he did really well too, although he still ran out of time but no where near as badly as the weekend paper. :?

Thank you all for your support.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now