Level 6 in Year 5 - possible ?

Key Stages 1-2 and SATs advice

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
kenyancowgirl

Re: Level 6 in Year 5 - possible ?

Post by kenyancowgirl »

The Lead inspectors details were on the letter informing parents that they were coming in - I rang and left a message saying I wanted to speak to him and also copied this in on paper to school reception. Evidence I had were copies of emails, letters etc sent into school, requesting meetings and outcomes of meetings and also the fact that we had pulled our son out onto flexi schooling as a result of not being happy with what was being offered. I had the independent education consultants report about our flexi programme to show what we were doing was "outstanding". My child's progress was outstanding - and he progressed - I was arguing the rate of progression and the lack of suitable extension work, poor maths provision across the school, poor literacy provision, lack of leadership, lack of decision making leading to safety concerns. I used my experiences as examples to convey issues that were affecting more than my child.
mystery

Post by mystery »

What if the school doesn't tell you they are coming in or supply you with the letter with the lead inspectors name at the top? I thought that inspections were done at very little notice these days. Otherwise I would do what you did. But I don't think there is going to be the opportunity.

I am impressed that they read your letter and made the time to hear you. Inspections these days are such short affairs I didn't think they would make the time for a parent who had just put themselves forward so to speak.

Each team varies I guess. Maybe I will be lucky when the time comes but I'll need more than my unforgiving coat on as Scarlett knows.

Last time when OFSTED did survey parents (and when we were pleased with the school at that point in time) the questionnaire responses were somehow not anonymous and were read by the school as they knew what we had said.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Mystery – you can write a complaint to Ofsted at any time, you do not need to wait for an inspection.

https://www.gov.uk/complain-about-school" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mystery

Post by mystery »

Yes, it says:

You can complain to Ofsted about any state school if there is a problem that affects the whole school. This includes problems with the quality of education or poor management.

You should get a response within 30 working days. The response will tell you if Ofsted will investigate or not, and why.

It's a bit restricting in its definition of what you can complain about and, anecdotally, they do not investigate unless there is a serious safeguarding issue, for example.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Mystery - they do investigate complaints if you phrase them in a generic way. Several complaints would trigger an inspection.
mystery

Post by mystery »

I will try when I have time. Yet again I will be the lone voice though.
wonderwoman

Post by wonderwoman »

mystery wrote:
I am impressed that they read your letter and made the time to hear you. Inspections these days are such short affairs I didn't think they would make the time for a parent who had just put themselves forward so to speak.

Last time when OFSTED did survey parents (and when we were pleased with the school at that point in time) the questionnaire responses were somehow not anonymous and were read by the school as they knew what we had said.
Inspectors will be out at the school gate, but you could also hand a letter to them - they will consider it and can take letters away with them. The time they spend in school is just the main part of the inspection process.

Last time Ofsted visited my DC GS, none of my DC were given a letter to inform us. It was also just before the online questionnaire. I suspect this was intentional! There was a large group of parents unhappy (many of us teachers) with the school and one parent did some research into questionnaire replies and the results included in the report. She didn't think they added up and when I was talking about this at home my DS said, 'Oh if you handed them to the teacher, he checked them and threw some away.' Sadly I wasn't surprised.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

mystery wrote:I will try when I have time. Yet again I will be the lone voice though.
With respect, if you are really that concerned, make the time. You don't know that you are the lone voice. And, if you have followed your schools complaint procedure then, in my experience, they were very interested.

As Guest 55 says you have the right to complain to them at any time - I happened to tie in with an inspection as they were around when I was at my wits end. And in all the mini moderating inspections they have done since, one inspector stood at the gate in the morning and spoke to various parents - no-one from the school was there, so he had free choice/ability to speak to any of them. If you don't have an inspection coming up, make the opportunity, by contacting them.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now