SATs results

Key Stages 1-2 and SATs advice

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
mystery

Re: SATs results

Post by mystery »

Yamin151 wrote:So have we established that we will get the results, albeit possibly just the level, without having to ask? The basic level is part of their final report? I just need to know if I need to ask up front or not.
Neither of their next schools use the sats so although MIT be sent we probably won't see.
As I understand it, from the final link in my post directly above this one, the statutory guidance requires schools to give you the the grade ( i.e. 3, 4, 5 or 6) so if you want the points you will have to ask. As the school has the points it would be churlish of them to make you wait, but I suppose they could keep you waiting for the relevant number of working days or school days in the legislation under which you have made the request. It might be worth seeking advice from the ICO about how best to ask if your school is typically secretive or if your school has the notion that parents who ask are up to no good and just want to boast in the playground about how high their child's level 5 was.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Our SATs report from school was basically printed from the online site the school logs into to get them. Each child was given a copy of the national and school total picture (including what % were teacher assessed at each level and what % got each level in the test). This allows you to see how close the TA was to the actual test results. The levels printed are just the basic number 3, 4, 5 etc for each of SPAG, Reading, Maths and Science (although this is just TA). However, when I met the teacher, he gave me DS2s actual test scores for each section (ie marks out of 50 or 100 or whatever) and the sub levels for information. In our case, the teacher had had English marks moderated (unless TA marks have been moderated, Ofsted, understandably, treat them with caution.) The next school gets both TA and test results and these have already been sent up.

Interestingly, in our school at least, the only 3 children who achieved L6 in the maths tests were the only ones successful in gaining a grammar place, and 2 of these also achieved L6 in the Spag test (and were the two gaining a place at the super selective) - not statistically significant but certainly mirrors the CEM 11+ results.

Certainly, our local GS is very reticent about taking SATs results as gospel in the sense that unmoderated TA results can be widely different, they refer to the Y6 SATs as "primary levels", some schools teach heavily for the SATS tests so grades are inflated. The GS also doesn't stream on entry, so SATs are not important for that. From our point of view the progress measured from Y2-Y6 was far more important as the difference between sub levels within a grade can be extremely subtle.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

A sudden fountain of information at 8am today, DS2 informed us that tomorrow he will be getting his SATs results, including fine grades :)
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Brum Mum

Post by Brum Mum »

We received ours on the 8th but with no sub levels.

I've requested them, so hopefully they will be coming home soon.
pushymother

Post by pushymother »

Thank you for the time you have taken to answer my question Mystery!!!!!

I am now armed and dangerous for the Junior school welcome meeting on Monday :wink:
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

School is telling people who ask that they don't have the individual SATs marks other than the overall grade! I really don't want to end a very long relationship by having to make an official request quoting chapter and verse .... :(
Marylou
mystery

Post by mystery »

That is disappointing. I don't know why some schools get so funny about people wanting more information and then consider it an insult to receive a formal request. I really cannot understand the psychology behind this one.

If you really want the information, does this "ending of a long relationship" really matter in the long term? Will you really care in a few months time about asking on paper for a few numbers which you know they have in school? And who actually ended the long relationship? You by asking, or them by telling you that was all they have - which is not strictly true?
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

It's just that having seen four children through the school and now the last is about to leave - I don't really want the last couple of weeks to feel "tainted", but I do feel very strongly about parents being treated in such a condescending manner! I'm sorely tempted to just leave it as I assume the figures will be passed on to the secondary, so could make the request to that school instead. It would be different if I still had another child lower down the primary school.
Marylou
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

Mary Lou, did the school provide a breakdown of year 6 sats results for the other children, is this a change of policy?
mystery

Post by mystery »

Marylou wrote:It's just that having seen four children through the school and now the last is about to leave - I don't really want the last couple of weeks to feel "tainted", but I do feel very strongly about parents being treated in such a condescending manner! I'm sorely tempted to just leave it as I assume the figures will be passed on to the secondary, so could make the request to that school instead. It would be different if I still had another child lower down the primary school.
Yes, I can see you having an uncomfortable feeling about it. I would too. But the thing I never really do understand is why some schools are so funny about passing on information about your child which has been put together with tax payers money in the first place. I don't see why they feel the need to be sour with parents and withhold it. I think your description of it as being "condescending" in this case is a kind description. They have in fact been very economical with the truth in telling you that they don't hold this data.

A personal anecdote. I once asked for the early years profile points for my child. A certain person hissed extremely unpleasantly under her breath that I was not going to be given something that other parents were not receiving. At the time, the DfE guidance clearly stated that parents were entitled to this information on request - and anyhow of course one was entitled to it under various laws. In the end, they must have thought better of this rather rude approach and gave the information to all parents that year. I don't know what they were fearing and I'm not aware that releasing the data to parents had any good or ill effects.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now