Progress in Year 6

Key Stages 1-2 and SATs advice

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
ptolemy

Progress in Year 6

Post by ptolemy »

I am trying to understand the end of year results and correlate it with progress. Dc got all level 5s and level 6 in Maths in SAT tests. We were also told that she was very strong in SPAG but not entered for level 6, because of the creative writing component in the paper. Teacher assessment was 5A Maths, 5B reading and 5C writing. This is just 1 sublevel progress from her Yr 5 results. I do not place much importance on the levels themselves but wondering about progress. Please give me your views and opinions.
Guest55

Re: Progress in Year 6

Post by Guest55 »

The school is judged from KS1 levels ...

Why did she do level 6 maths if her teacher judged her 5a?
ptolemy

Post by ptolemy »

Precisely my thoughts, Guest 55. I go more by the teacher assessment than the SATs, that's why I'm wondering whether she has made enough progress. Her KS1 results were 3C reading, 2A Maths and 2A writing.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

She has made good progess from KS1 so I would not worry.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Yes, it is very good progress from KS1. If she got sufficient marks on the day to be given a primary level 6 in maths she got enough marks on the day. So that is great surely, whatever the teacher assessment was. She didn't cheat so she's shown she is capable of solving the kinds of problems they wanted solving to get a primary level 6c or some such thing.

It is always possible that her maths improved from when they determined her to be a 5a through to when she sat the test too.

At my children's school, I'm not sure that they ever give a teacher assessment above 5a for maths because they like their teacher assessments to be backed up with several old tests they have given. They don't have many old tests to administer to back-up a 6c level.

Have you looked at the point scores for the reading and maths tests and compared with the teacher assessment?

I am sure some aspects of teacher assessment are more accurate than externally marked and set tests and vice versa. But, the discrepancy is variable. If you looked at different school / teacher results you'd see quite significantly different variances between the teacher assessments and the test results.

I would be more concerned if the test results were much lower than the teacher assessment than vice versa. One explanation in that situation could be that your child does not yet give their best in test situations. Plenty of time for that though. At GCSE and A level it's pretty much all externally marked and set tests so longer term that is the more important thing to be ready for.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Teacher assessments should use APP grids not tests as they don't include all learning objectives.
ptolemy

Post by ptolemy »

Thank you, Guest 55 and mystery.
I haven't looked at the point scores as we got our results only last Friday and school closed on Wednesday. There was so many other things going on the last 3 days of primary, that I missed my chance.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Guest55 wrote:Teacher assessments should use APP grids not tests as they don't include all learning objectives.
Yes, but that is a should not a must. App was never compulsory and there is no guarantee it is accurate.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I did say 'should' mystery.

Out of interet how much experience do you have in using APP? It is a nationally agreed system for standardising teacher assessments .. not statutory I agree but encouraged.

All the statements are based on level descriptors and it is certainly far more accurate that any test.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Out of interest, how much experience do you have in comparing the accuracy of teacher assessment data across the nation with the results of externally set and marked tests? :wink: