new KS2 tests

Key Stages 1-2 and SATs advice

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

moved

Re: new KS2 tests

Post by moved »

Since the removal of calculators this year the tests don't test the curriculum.

Marks are not 'given' for non-stat methods, rather they are not given for a grid method despite the method being correct with an arithmetic error.

This also only applies in the arithmetic paper, there is a process mark for papers 2 and 3 and any method will be given credit in the same way as the current system.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Moved - how is this justified? At no other exam is an attempt using an identifiable method not given credit ...

Grid method extends to algebra up to KS5 and beyond - traditional multiplication does not.
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

Ds3 thinks it hilarious that to prove an argument once about which method was fastest, I told him I would race him. He got the answer first using his grid, although I maintain I won by default as he called the answer but had yet to write it down and underline it!

Ds1 year 7 teacher told them they had to practice the grid method as they would use it a lot in the future too and it was more error proof.

Chunking is a faff though, imo only of course.

Surely if the child works efficiently and understands the concepts and place value, then their method should be whatever they are comfortable using?
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

I wish I had known about the grid method when I was teaching adults maths 12+ years ago. There were some for whom it would have made more sense to.
I know many parents complain about it, but that's because it's not what they know. I have one friend who has insisted his daughter learns long multiplication and taught her that at home, be issue he thinks the grid method is rubbish. All he has achieved though is a frustrated DD who is now confused.
mystery

Post by mystery »

The wording in the example questions and the new national curriculum is not crystal clear to me. Where is the grid method explicitly excluded as not being an acceptable, formal written method?

As an aside: the grid method requires more digits to be written down, and more lines drawn. So the physical aspects of this method surely must take longer. Maybe you are slow at long multiplication the old fashioned way sb? :wink:

It can be taught without understanding, just like any other method.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Guest55 wrote:Moved - how is this justified? At no other exam is an attempt using an identifiable method not given credit ...

Grid method extends to algebra up to KS5 and beyond - traditional multiplication does not.
Yes, column multiplication does not work for algebra. But I managed algebra to a pretty high level without the grid method either.

There's nothing to say you can't still teach it is there? Bit like number lines. You can teach children to use them whenever you fancy but you wouldn't expect to see them popping up in an A level answer - you would hope to see a more efficient written method by then.

I guess this is an attempt to ensure that children are taught more methods than before at primary.

If it works, and I have no clue if it will or not, I am please that my second child will not spend ks3 maths lessons learning how to multiply and divide. It was years out of the way for us in my post-Victorian day by then and this is attainable by the majority of pupils.

This does not stop any maths teacher teaching and using methods which promote understanding.
wonderwoman

Post by wonderwoman »

One of the things I love about maths is how creative it is. If Gove hadn't been sacked I wouldn't have been surprised if he'd come up with a list of approved words to use in writing next.
I love chunking as does my DD who is a pharmacy student and has to take and pass regular maths tests as part of her degree - mostly arithmetic I think . She uses the methods taught in primary school and tells me she is one of the fastest and most accurate.
mystery wrote:I am please that my second child will not spend ks3 maths lessons learning how to multiply and divide.
Do you mean taught a different method? I used to teach these traditional methods in Y5 - and relate them to chunking and grid - it takes about 1 lesson for pupils with a good understanding of maths. Some used them some didn't.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Yes - I am hoping they will not have any maths lesson time taken up at all with learning methods for multiplication and division. They will have to learn to multiply a fraction by a fraction and divide a fraction by a fraction.

We did that at primary school and I thought it was going to be in the national curriculum for ks2 when there was such a hoohah about it. Disappointingly it is not.
wonderwoman

Post by wonderwoman »

mystery wrote: They will have to learn to multiply a fraction by a fraction and divide a fraction by a fraction.
We did that at primary school and I thought it was going to be in the national curriculum for ks2 when there was such a hoohah about it. Disappointingly it is not.
Well I hate to tell you we did that too!
mystery

Post by mystery »

Do you mean it was taught when you were at primary school? So why do you think the new national curriculum did not go further?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now