Handwriting help

Key Stages 1-2 and SATs advice

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

mystery

Re: Handwriting help

Post by mystery »

I searched on the web for a private OT who did this kind of work with children.
Rosy Pippin

Post by Rosy Pippin »

Thanks very much mystery. If I get no joy with a referral from school, I'll go down that route.
It takes a village to raise a child
MedievalBabe

Post by MedievalBabe »

I run a handwriting club at the school I work in. We have the children in every day for 20mins as they need regular exercises and one of the resources we use is from occupational therapists called Write from the Start by Ion Theodorescu. It is not all writing it is patterns and pencil control to gradually build up the skills to write. The children enjoy using this as it is more interesting than some of the handwriting stuff they are forced to do in class. We do use pencil grips but we have several different styles as each child has different needs and fingers, one style will not suit another and each child has different grip issues.

We also do lots of craft things to build up their fine motor skills, cutting things out, threading, we use chalk, paints and salt trays. Making large patterns in the air with their fingers and on each other's backs then on paper with paint or chalk. All I can say is we see improvements with the children's handwriting over the year and they love coming every day because we make it fun.

Try different things to build up the muscles in their fingers, use pegs, putty, beads and finger exercises.
Rosy Pippin

Post by Rosy Pippin »

Thanks Medievalbabe - I have ordered the pack to see what we can achieve at home
It takes a village to raise a child
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now