what would you do?

Key Stages 1-2 and SATs advice

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
onebigdilemma

what would you do?

Post by onebigdilemma »

My son started Year 6 with a new teacher who spent the whole first week testing the class, the result being that my son dropped down a literacy group.
Literacy is not his strongest area and have no problem dropping down a group but he has told me his group is doing Carrie's War....
My son did this book in Year 5, I asked if he had told the teacher and he said he had but she had said it was only one person in the group so it didn't matter. It is not just the same book but he says he has been given exactly the same worksheets/questions to do.
It is hard to get my son to read each night and for him to repeat a book that he found boring first time round is not going to ignite any passion for reading in him!!
Would you say something?
Tinkers

Re: what would you do?

Post by Tinkers »

Depending on your relationship with the teacher, yes.

He isn't going to progress if he is doing the same thing.
JamesDean

Post by JamesDean »

How long do they stay on each book? If its only up to half term, I would be inclined to leave it. However, if its for longer or if they're then going onto the next book he studied last year, I'd definitely have a word or else he's going to be one very bored boy!

JD
onebigdilemma

Post by onebigdilemma »

Teacher is new to the school so don't know her at all.

No idea how long on book for may have to ask son to subtly ask!!
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Reading the sam book is not such an issue but they should not be using the same worksheets.

I'd drop in after school to discuss it; the teacher may not realise the sheets are the same.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

This is a rich book with many different themes. It would be straightforward for the teacher to provide him with different material. DG
onebigdilemma

Post by onebigdilemma »

My son says they are just doing the book up to October half term and really doesn't want me to say anything. He has agreed that in that case he has to make sure he answers all questions associated book as detailed as he can with neat handwriting!! (a challenge in itself!!)
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

Hopefully he will get a big confidence boost anyway.

I wasn't very popular at school a few years back when I said "ugh, are they still torturing kids with that dull old story, I did that at primary school thirty odd (I muffled the odd) years ago." Not spotting the teacher lurking round the corner. :oops:
Even great books get a bit dull when they are over analysed and you are ten. :?
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now