Maths up to year 4 question

Key Stages 1-2 and SATs advice

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Midlandsmom

Maths up to year 4 question

Post by Midlandsmom »

Hi, I'm new here, planning on starting some DIY prep for the King Edwards consortium this year with my son who's about to enter year 5.

We have just been talking about the subjects we will work on and he has asked me if I can go through percentages with him first, because he says, he has never done this in school. He says it came up on a year 5 paper he sat at the end of year 4 (which I think at least partially determined his NC level on his report - he received a 5c in his final report for maths) and he has the basic idea of what percentages are and can equate them to fractions in the sense that 50% = 50 out of 100 = half.

Anyway, I am not a teacher but have armed myself with resources from various places and have now realised I have nothing at all about percentages and have no idea how to teach this to a 9/10 year old. Is it usual that they won't cover this in school prior to year 5? Is it likely to be covered this year? And how best to approach it with him as I want this to be an engaging process, not a boring one so I am keen to look at e.g. Percentages with him if it helps keep his interest.

Will a basic overview be enough - ie expand on what he already knows about percentages or wait until he starts doing it at school (I'm assuming he will in year 5?!)?

I had no idea I could be so thrown off balance by percentages!

What do others do with DIY - link it to interests and school topics at the time or totally do your own thing?
onebigdilemma

Re: Maths up to year 4 question

Post by onebigdilemma »

I know my boys did it in year 5, unsure of year 4. I would book to see class teacher and explain your situation and am sure they will be happy to tell you what topics they will be covering and when.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... s-of-study" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Year 5 are starting the new National curriculum - this will tell you Year 5 content.
Midlandsmom

Post by Midlandsmom »

Thanks, Guest that link is really helpful - looks like percentages/fractions/decimals will be covered this year. I might touch on basics and tell him we can go over it again once he's started this in class. I worry I will teach him the "wrong way" of doing things or just create confusion!

School isn't back until next week, and then it's a new teacher (new to the school) for year 5, so I might let her have a peaceful (?!) few weeks or at least get to know the children before I ask too many questions.
chimera-ma

Post by chimera-ma »

My DS has just started Year 5. He was assessed as 4B for Maths at the end of Year 4 and did do quite a bit of work on fractions and decimals at school last year, but doesn't remember covering percentages, other than with us at home.

Does your DS's school set any of his Maths homework via an online provider? Ours does, and it is possible to log on and do more activities than those set as homework. We covered all outstanding Year 4 activities online over the summer. DH recalls one exercise that he supervised being on percentages, so I guess some schools must have introduced the topic in Year 4 last year.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now