'Best state school' has exam results annulled

Key Stages 1-2 and SATs advice

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
fantasyvn2008

'Best state school' has exam results annulled

Post by fantasyvn2008 »

You may have heard about Grinling Gibbons Primary School in Deptford , ranked fourth in the Sunday Times Parent Power league table - the highest ever ranking for a state primary on the list. Its head teacher Cynthia was even made an OBE in the New Year's Honours list last year.

But last year’s results for maths and grammar, punctuation and spelling tests have been annulled for the whole cohort.

The Department for Education confirmed the annulment, and told the Standard the failures were “completely unacceptable”. Grinling Gibbons had been hailed as a shining example of progress in London’s state schools.

The school’s results for the mental mathematics test, the second maths paper and the first grammar, punctuation and spelling paper were annulled. As a result the overall maths and grammar, punctuation and spelling results have been invalidated.

The Department for Education spokesman said: “Following an investigation into the administration of 2014 Key Stage 2 tests at Grinling Gibbons Primary School, a decision was made to annul a number of the tests... Any instances of maladministration of the tests are completely unacceptable.”

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/educatio ... 22662.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

What do you think about this case?
Guest55

Re: 'Best state school' has exam results annulled

Post by Guest55 »

Local authorities have the responsibility to 'drop in' on school without notice to check the KS2 tests are being run properly.

Also markers might pick up 'unusual' patterns in responses.

I wonder what the actual issues were ...
mystery

Post by mystery »

Spooky. There was another top achieving school that did this another year and another thread on here said it hoped that grinling gibbons was not another one of those. Very sad as it did look amazing.

Oh dear. If you're going to fiddle something it still needs to look genuine.
Amber

Post by Amber »

I know nothing about this school or this case...but, if you are going to hang so much on the results of testing, it isn't surprising at all that schools are tempted to fiddle the results. It is very sad and a shame that governments don't think about the unintended consequences of their actions - the pressure on heads can be immense as funding and status are dependent on league table positions. I do personally know a former head teacher who was really well-regarded and who resigned rather than lean on his less able pupils to call in sick on SATs days, as his governors had asked him to do. A huge loss to the profession. It is utterly mad. :(
moved

Post by moved »

Maladministration Happens nationally. There is a team within STA who investigate malpractice.

As Amber said this really isn't a surprise. I have sadly heard of many instances including in public exams such as GCSEs.

The bottom line is schools are judged on results. They are required to produce data that is neat and tidy showing pupils on a linear path to success.

Life isn't linear, children don't learn in straight lines making progress at a steady rate.

Infant schools train children to the tests they sit (results are much higher than KS1 in primary schools). This makes it extremely hard for the junior school to show outstanding progress. Primary schools drill children for the KS2 tests (teachers giving up hours of their free time), which annoys the secondary schools. It is great preparation for their GCSEs when the teachers give up hours of their free time to drill their pupils to get the best results for the students and, of course, the school.
Universities and employers complain that the people they take on know nothing despite their 'useless' qualifications.

League tables and unreasonable inspections have created the problems. It is no wonder the desperate cheat!
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

Life isn't linear, children don't learn in straight lines making progress at a steady rate.
:D

Exactly!
um

Post by um »

I spoke to a senior educational advisor a few years ago who estimated that around 30% of primary SATs results were not entirely genuine... :(
At ds1s primary, a teacher was going around the hall during SATs silently pausing and putting her finger on pupils' work where it was wrong so they could correct it.
When I see a school with low SATs, I think to myself, at least they're honest :wink: .
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

um - you need to report this.

Where does the evidence for 30% come from? With the chances of a spot moderation, I would have said that is far too high.
copella

Post by copella »

G55 it would not surprise me if the 30%was accurate. I recently attended a team around the child meeting for the drafting of an EHC plan, the child had been given level 3's in all of the year 6 tests. At the time the child's parents were surprised as the child could barely read or write, had poor numeracy and appeared to have made dramatic progress they could not see. They complained but felt no one listened to them. The child then hit secondary school and crashed badly unable to cope and exhibited poor behaviour. It seemed common knowledge at the meeting that several children arrived from various primary schools with test results which would seem beyond them.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

TA levels are also moderated -

I think our LA would notice any big differences in test and TA levels. Schools are challenged on that sort of thing locally ...
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now