SATS question

Key Stages 1-2 and SATs advice

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Amber

Re: SATS question

Post by Amber »

You could see it being the next big thing in expensive London restaurants though, couldn't you? 'Locally sourced wild fish, humanely caught at our own checkpoint and poached in a rich jus of pond water and Ugandan freshwater herbs'.

Sorry for taking this off-topic. :oops:
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

****may contain lead shot
loobylou

Post by loobylou »

So it seems that marking quirks can continue throughout exams. How depressing... The pond thing is quite scary. And I'm a dr and would struggle to demonstrate differences between arteries and veins without mentioning function - unless the question clearly states that it's only about anatomy...
Apparently a child who missed that SATs practice paper and did it the following day got "bellowed" marked as correct by a different teacher. So maybe the mark scheme is supposed to be a guide rather than something that is blindly followed... Let's hope so.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

That was an iGCSE paper and all will have changed soon. Whether it will be better or not, nobody knows?
Amber

Post by Amber »

Guest55 wrote:That was an iGCSE paper and all will have changed soon. Whether it will be better or not, nobody knows?
FWIW DD says the chemistry DS is doing at iGCSE is far harder than what she did at GCSE and some of it is even challenging her A2 knowledge. The worst ever exam papers I saw were AQA GCSE English Language (though it is a close contest - with many finalists). I don't think it is board-specific.

A close friend of mine trained to be a marking moderator (in a science) and gave it up after a year as she felt the levels of hoop-jumping were ridiculous and children who clearly knew the material inside out were not being given credit as they didn't phrase things in particular ways. I think maths is maybe different G55 - some of these mark schemes beggar belief.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Is it the mark scheme that is at fault, or poor markers who can't use their brains and go beyond the mark scheme if necessary?
Amber

Post by Amber »

mystery wrote:Is it the mark scheme that is at fault, or poor markers who can't use their brains and go beyond the mark scheme if necessary?
Usually they aren't allowed to. One or two exams say 'allow any reasonable alternative ' but usually it's very strict.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now