Which is more important - 11+ or SATS?

Key Stages 1-2 and SATs advice

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
K76

Which is more important - 11+ or SATS?

Post by K76 »

Hi,

With my DD1 off to big school (a local comprehensive), I now have to think about DD2. She is in Year 3.

My first child didn't go to any tuition classes but we got some books to do at home which she found hard so we gave up.

My younger daughter is quite studious and works hard. She is not naturally bright but gets good results at school because she works really hard and is currently above average. I have tried to do some research online and I am reading posts about Year 3 children already working to a level 4-5 in their SATS and my DD is nowhere near that level.

I am thinking of getting some tuition for her but unsure whether or not to focus on the 11+ or just general english and maths to help raise her SAT levels.

What do you think?

K
Tolstoy

Re: Which is more important - 11+ or SATS?

Post by Tolstoy »

K76 is she in Y3 now or due to start in Y3 in September?

A grammar school DC should achieve across the board level 3s for the key stage 1 tests at the end of y2. That said I had two who didn't so much depends on the school as well as the DC.

By the time they leave in Y6 they should get across the board level 5 although some are getting level 6s now.

In Y3 your DD could be working at level 3 possibly low level 4 and be of GS ability.

Carry on encouraging her at home they way you are as there is plenty of time yet to start 11+ specific work.

Re your original question SATs are important if the secondary school your DC will attend uses them to put DC into sets. They are also important should your DC not get the required score and you wish to appeal as they represent academic evidence of ability.

Edit
I have looked back at some of your previous posts and see you are in Bucks. I know the upper our DC attends used SATs results when putting DC into sets so they are important. However CEM is more in line with the work they do at school so as I said keep doing what you're doing and in Y5 practice some NVR and start timing tests.
K76

Post by K76 »

She is in Yr 3 now and about to go into Yr4. At the end of Yr3 she has a level 3c across the board. The school are saying that at the end of Yr 3 they expect a 2a so she is above average.

Do you think she should be aiming a bit higher by now if she wants to go to a GS?

There is a tuition center nearby that says she could start there now but they focus on 11+. Not really sure what to do.

K
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

Personally I would stick to doing some work with her at home if she is enjoying that and you are happy to continue. I do know that some DC start tuition around here in Y4 but whether it is necessary is a different matter. Certainly the DC I know who has been doing it didn't need it. Most I think start in Y5.

The SAts levels are changing but if she is 3c now then going on the two sub-level expectation of progress she should be roughly 3a end of year 4, 4b end of y5 and 5s in y6. Therefore grammar standard. Some DC do make accelerated progress in key stage 2 some of the more experienced teachers would be able to advise you better than I on that.

I would say at the moment she is borderline but as she has a good work ethic this will work in her favour so Grammar is definitely an option. Do they set for maths in DDs school?
K76

Post by K76 »

Thank you Tolstoy! You have given me some hope :D

Yes I believe they do set them for maths.
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

If she isn't in the highest set then do some extra maths work to try and get her moved up and that should ensure all the maths gets covered.

For the VR just ensure she is reading or being read books with extensive vocab. I read the Swallows and Amazon series to mine and also Hobbit and the Lord of the rings series. Recently I read them 'The Little Prince' by Saint Exupery and for a little book, that is translated from French, I was impressed with the vocabulary. I shall be reading it again to them this summer.
K76

Post by K76 »

She is in the top set so that is good.

I am a bit concerned about the reading though. I have just let her read anything she wants to and she only reads Mr Men books. After reading some posts/links on this forum, I am currently trying paired reading with her and we are trying to read Malory Towers. We are still on page 2 because we are stopping to look to up every other word in the dictionary. We started 3 days ago.

If you are reading LotR to your 8 year old then what sort of books do you think an 11 year old with a reading level of 5c should be able to read? My DD1 loves reading. She likes Diary of a Wimpy Kid but I am sure that is aimed at younger children. She tried to read Harry Potter but gave up half way through book 4.
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

My DC are older than your DD. The last will sit the transfer test this September. DC3 loved the Mr Men books though and the vocabulary in them is good plus the humour. He has dyslexia but they were the only books he would read for a long time. I did read them the Hobbit when they were your DDs age but I didn't/don't expect them to understand every word. As long as they are understanding what is going on then I will just stop occasionally on a word I think they may not have come across. Some go in some don't but my guess is the more they hear them the better.

Paired reading is good because they really do need to see the words written down for spelling and when they do the CEM. I also used that method with my dyslexic son to encourage him to read as he needed to move on to harder books for interest but couldn't cope if there was too much text on the page.

My youngest is 5c and currently reading the Eragon series. He loves reading though. If DD1 enjoys the diary of a Whimpy kid books then let her read them. DC3 does and he is older than your DD. I read the HP series to mine and did find the longer books a bit boring, one particularly so, it may have been book 4. My eldest loved them and reread them many times himself, the others enjoyed them but not to the same extent. My best reader certainly wouldn't have bothered reading them himself so they don't appeal to everyone. Non-fiction is a really good way to extend their reading if they have an interest. My reluctant reader will read anything about space.
K76

Post by K76 »

Thanks Tolstoy! It is good to know that I am going about things the right way.
MmeOgg

Post by MmeOgg »

Are you struggling with the vocab in Malory Towers because it is old-fashioned?
Maybe try some David Williams for something contemporary. Or the Worst Witch series might appeal if she likes the boarding school stories.
Otherwise, make the most of the Summer Reading Challenge in your local library and let her pick a variety of styles to try - no pressure to complete if she picks a dud book (it happens to us all) just move on to something different.