Thinking about the KS1 assessments 2016

Key Stages 1-2 and SATs advice

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

scary mum

Re: Thinking about the KS1 assessments 2016

Post by scary mum »

Amber wrote:Why would you prepare a child for KS1 tests at home? Goodness me let them play!
Great minds think alike :)
scary mum
Amber

Post by Amber »

scary mum wrote:
Amber wrote:Why would you prepare a child for KS1 tests at home? Goodness me let them play!
Great minds think alike :)
Indeed scary - of course I agree with your post.

Now, back to my stickle bricks. :D
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

I can honestly say the only time I paid any attention was when we appealed for middle son, you have to find out their scores at ks1 (I have it annoyingly ingrained on my brain now, all old style level 3)
Up until that time we were oblivious as we left the early years curriculum stuff to their teachers and taught the kids whatever we or they fancied at home in our own clumsy way, sometimes structured, sometimes just through play....I swear a Lego obsession taught my youngest to count and sequence.
We did however do comprehension every single night, we called it a bedside story thpugh, most nights they would be able to chat about the story, some nights however their little eyes simply got too heavy before the end and you felt the weight of their head fall on your chest......I miss that.
Anyway, as far as settings go, kiddies change so much over their years from 6-10 that I can't imagine sets being fixed rigid in any school. Also, the teachers will not make a decision based on one sat test, this isn't the 11+; should an anomaly occur the teachers would not suddenly decide that all their observations during the last three years were wrong, they may just think the child had a bad day or alternatively the child had been pushed hard for a test and would still struggle with understanding on a daily basis if put in top sets at that point in time.
So please do not fixate on these tests, the children are far too tiny to be made to feel under any pressure, it should be a very natural, relaxed affair that gives an honest reflection of the child's ability.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now