Ashgrove School - Bromley?

Key Stages 1-2 and SATs advice

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
BLuedrop

Ashgrove School - Bromley?

Post by BLuedrop »

A quick question to those who send/sent their kids to Ashgrove.

We are planning to send our child there from next year. From 11 plus perspective, would I still have to spend time with my child every day doing bond papers etc or would it just be enough if we do the homework set by the school ? In other words, do i still have to plan my 11plus campaign and take responsibility for it or will the school do it for me?

We do prep at home right now. About 30 mins every day and bond papers over the weekend. Im moving to a new demanding job from January and I know i will be too tired to do any prep work everyday.

Advice welcome
yoyo123

Re: Ashgrove School - Bromley?

Post by yoyo123 »

is it a State School?

Local Authority schools are not allowed to do 11+prep and so you woud have to that in addition to school work.

Not sure what year your child is in.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

It's an independent school, yoyo.

From reading the school's website (which I commend to you Bluedrop), it appears to have a near 100% track record in gaining admission for pupils to GS and Indies.

That probably has a lot to do with the £37/hour charged for after-school group tuition ... http://www.ashgrove.org.uk/tutorial-centre" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The answer to the question appears to be that the school will do the job for anyone with deep enough pockets.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

After school - and 'all through the holidays'. With such tiny year groups, I wonder who would be brave enough not to sign their child up for the sessions?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Indeed, TM.

Termly fees are £2,730, so ca. £8k a year - very much on the low side for a prep school, but all the additional tuition would certainly take that figure up to the "norm" of £10k+ a year, and possibly way beyond it. Just two hours a week in term-time only adds £2.2k to the annual cost, even before you factor in holiday tuition.
PettswoodFiona

Post by PettswoodFiona »

DD is at selective independent not to far from Ashgrove and sorry but amongst parents there Ashgrove isnt really seen as a school of first choice but that may be reflective of the parents at DD's school rather than Ashgrove.. Those who want a co-ed prep to prepare for eleven plus that I know of have usually chosen Braeside. DD's independent don't prepare as they expect their girls to continue into the senior school but they teach at a level that means a bit of familiarisation is all you really need - DD passed all three including Newstead this Sept. The Kent tests really are not that hard to pass and of the July 2015 leavers at Ashgrove a fair number are going to state comprehensives like Ravens Wood and Ravensborne and Bullers Wood, a couple are going to GDST independent school, which are good and whilst selective many will choose a grammar over them if they have the choice even where money is no object. Such a small class can be very cloying and lead to friendship problems. If I was choosing between my local state or Ashgrove unless my local state school had some major issues personally I would choose the state school But you know your child best and if they would fit in.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now