DS doesn't concentrate in class

Key Stages 1-2 and SATs advice

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
ConfusedAylesburyMum

Re: DS doesn't concentrate in class

Post by ConfusedAylesburyMum »

My son (a late August baby) had terrible problems throughout Infant school as he also struggled with the whole sitting still and focussing bit! Much depended on the teacher and we had major issues with his Year 2 teacher who simply was unable to manage him. We had always known from nursery that he needed to be focussed and challenged and would become a little disruptive if this was not the case.

Moving to Junior School and in Yr 3 he had an outstanding teacher who loved the challenge of boys who have a bit of spirit. She often tried to catch my son out as he looked liked he wasn't concentrating or listening as he was fiddling or looking away. But every time he could recite almost word for word what she was saying and delivered when working (although did often need to be told to get back on task rather than chatting or messing around).

Throughout Junior school he remained similar. Its a challenge for all - parents and teachers. But that is what makes him who he is to be honest. From a young age he did do a lot of sport to help channel his energy.

For info he is very bright, passed 11+ and has just started at Grammar school.
Zeezeemum

Post by Zeezeemum »

mystery wrote:Sounds like a rubbish school to give you that kind of feedback on a year 1 child who is doing extremely well. Did he learn to read etc at school? What benefit does he get from this teacher do you think other than criticism?
He did learn to read at school although he does a lot of reading at home which has accelerated his reading progress. In fact his teacher gave him a reading assessment the other day and he has moved 3 band levels since his last assessment not too long ago and the feedback was he read quite well, answering all the questions and showed a good understanding of the story although his inference skills needs a little work.
mystery wrote: However, I think she might be giving you a subtle hint that she doesn't think this particular school has anything to offer your child and maybe she's right .........
You maybe right as she did say they are short staffed and with 30 kids to teach they cant give special attention to children that may need it and they also have to follow the national curriculum. After she asked me whether I have considered private schools, she did mention that her own child also attends a private school proabably after realising she shouldnt have said that.
Guest55 wrote: It sounds to me as if he is bored and that the work is not engaging him. I feel the school is not making much effort and telling you to move him is pretty poor ... If he is bright then why aren't they giving hime extension tasks? There are plenty of resources out there ...
His reception teacher used to give him extension work which he did at home but I havent received any from his year one teacher. I have bought a couple of workbooks which we use at home sometimes. His reception teacher kept an eye on him and sat him in the front of the class but never made it an issue as we were aware of his lack of concentration but she seemed to be able to keep him engaged. I dont think his class (1) teacher has got the time to give him extra work as she works 4 days a week and on the day she is off, the TA teaches the class. I believe thats why she goes on about being short staffed.

Thanks for the link PurpleDuck which makes very interesting reading.

Thanks to everybody for all the assurances that my son is just a normal boy and given work pitched at his level, will be just fine. As parents we do worry and I'm now certain that he hasn't got a medical condition but just needs to be engaged a bit more and left to be child.
I will let my son continue to be the happy little boy who enjoys running around, kicking a ball, playing with cars and splashing in water :)
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

TAs should not be teaching a class - HTLAs can but not a TA.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/10497175" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Old news but still correct.

Having read your reply I am concerned and I would take the matter to the Head - the teacher seems to be struggling.
mystery

Post by mystery »

It sounds very much like our school. It's certainly worth asking about as it might improve things and if it doesn't you know to look elsewhere if it's looking like the future years are going to be a bit rubbish too.

At our school you would be promised some kind of improvement or "we shall look into it" then when you politely follow up on that a couple of times over the next year or so - in writing - you will get an unpleasant letter from the head or hints that you might prefer it elsewhere.

Our school is one with astonishingly high levels of 4b and above at KS2 --- children with any kind of "difficulty" left a long time before or a short time before the KS2 tests and a startlingly high number of children went for the option of having questions read to them during the key stage 2 tests. My child received some hints too - unwanted ones unfortunately which upset her. Most children have tutors in year 5 if not before as we are in an 11 plus area. It definitely helps the KS2 results!

You somehow have to work out if the years above are going to be any better or if you are going to be constantly frustrated and push off elsewhere.

I am finding that the introduction of the new curriculum seems to mean, in our school at any rate, a decision to work to the year related targets only which probably means a lot of treading water for your child and will continue to do so.

So if you go independent, go to one that does not follow the national curriculum and make sure that you see that the work they do in each class up to year 6 would be more interesting than the current boring but free of charge diet.

Oh, there was also a child whose mother was told about a concentration problem right up to year 6 - but it always depended on which teacher it was. Some years she concentrated, others she did not. Mother filled in the gaps at home. The techniques the teacher who could get her to concentrate used were very basic but mother got nowhere suggesting them to the teacher(s) who could not achieve concentration.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now