how can i help with the sats

Key Stages 1-2 and SATs advice

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

a worried mum in crisis

how can i help with the sats

Post by a worried mum in crisis »

hi
i have 2 children 1 that is average and 1 that is very bright he is top of the class.
how can i boost my other little boys chances of getting good sats results?
he is in yr6 now but last years sats for him were 4c maths 3a english 4a science i dont no if thats good but the teacher said his science was excellent he struggles with his hand writing and thats what always lets him down someone suggested a diary ............any advice much appreciated :D
Melx

SATS help

Post by Melx »

Hi Worried mum

If your sons writing is letting him down then yes a diary is a good idea although getting him to do it every day may not be that easy. Why not buy some SATS papers and help him maximise on the other topics. You can then practise what he struggles with in the maths and if you get him to really understand how to do Comprehension he can gain extra points which will help with his English. There is a link somewhere that tells you how many marks you get for each SATS topic and I don't think there is lots to be had on the actual writing but the content does count especially on the story writing.

I bought papers for my son to practsie and it made a huge differnece for him. When he did his first practise at school(about this time of year) he didn't do very well in English(predicted a 5 but got a 4) but after we practised at home he got a 5 in the next practise and a 5 in the real thing. In my sons case he needed to really understand how to go about the Comp eg looking for the answers and how to maximise on story writing, using adjectives, proper grammar etc. Maths was his strong subject so we just went over stuff and the Science papers helped his revision. I would definitely reccomend getting some papers.

Mel
Melx

Post by Melx »

Worried mum I meant to say a 4a is very good, just a couple of more marks would be a 5(and science is very difficult), a 4c Maths is also good and can be brought up with practise. Home in on the English.

Good luck

Mel
Sassy

KS2 sats

Post by Sassy »

Sorry, but i get so fed up with the push on SATS. The school I work at spends most of Y6 preparing for them rather than teaching!

Were they not brought in to check that the school was teaching the National Curriculum properly? The results should reflect that, not individuals ability. Maybe the childs name should not be on the paper and the statistics looked at only.

Dont make the teachers life easier by preparing your child, thats their responsibility. Focus on the Eleven Plus if thats what your child wants. My son didn't perform brilliantly in his SATs but passed his 11+ with ease and can hold his own comfortably with his peer group. The constant testing of children is unnecessary.

What is the old adage? "It doesn't matter how often you weigh a pig, it doesn't get any fatter!"

Sorry, rant over :x
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now