KS2 SATS 2016

Key Stages 1-2 and SATs advice

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Tolstoy

Re: KS2 SATS 2016

Post by Tolstoy »

Thank you moved.

... And re that phonics screening test, encountered it for the first time this year :roll:
Blitz

Post by Blitz »

moved wrote:
Tolstoy wrote:Okay so if I understand correctly, by excluding the low scorers, 80 and under, the averages are not really averages at all. This would only be the case if they also excluded the high scorers as well which they don't? I know the test is designed differently to other tests as the children ar expected to get high marks due to it beimg about testing what they have covered and understood. However how can it be fair to exclude the lower acheiving children from the demographic when workimg on averages?

As an aside you have used a cut off of 110+ as exceeding. Is this the score you would expect Grammar children to be achieving? DS will be set them for maths at his Upper school and I am trying to work out whether he will be top set.
I know of plenty of GS children who 'failed' English! One of mine failed 11+ but scored average of 118. It depends what the test looks for.
I know a girl who scored 97 on the CCHS CEM 11 plus (so deemed to have failed and not suitable for Grammar School), yet only dropped 3 marks in total in her Y6 SATS. Her comp will be rubbing their hands with glee to have such an able girl coming to them.
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

Interesting. Do you know if she was tutored for the CEM test, Blitz?
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Tolstoy wrote:Interesting. Do you know if she was tutored for the CEM test, Blitz?
Or was she always working in school at the level that got her the SATs score and either just went to pieces in the CCHS exam, or was one of those 'top table kids' DG often cites, who get complacent and are beaten in the exam by the hordes of children consistently (mis- of course)placed each year by successive class teachers on the middle tables, who get themselves into the 'winning' group in the exam by taking note of every word their 11+ tutor imparts?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

ToadMum wrote:
Tolstoy wrote:Interesting. Do you know if she was tutored for the CEM test, Blitz?
Or was she always working in school at the level that got her the SATs score and either just went to pieces in the CCHS exam, or was one of those 'top table kids' DG often cites, who get complacent and are beaten in the exam by the hordes of children consistently (mis- of course)placed each year by successive class teachers on the middle tables, who get themselves into the 'winning' group in the exam by taking note of every word their 11+ tutor imparts?
Obviously ToadMum expressing my thoughts in a more direct fashion but yes that is what I wanted to know :)
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

Sometimes a few weeks of 1 to 1 can clear up difficulties. The tutor or teacher can give that child their undivided attention and spot " sticking points" which have prevented the child from grasping something. It doesn't necessarily have to be a paid,private tutor many schools also do this. It has been my job for 6 years. I work mainly in UKS2 but also work with the younger children. It has a marked effect. The Sutton Trust recognised indivdual help from a teacher as being one of the most effective methods of interventions.
It makes sense that you can give a child tailored help if you are not trying to teach 32 others at the same time , whilst often sorting out behaviour probems at the same time.
pii

Post by pii »

My DS got perfect score in grammar, punctuation , vocabulary and spelling, 118 in reading and 117 in Maths. This was previously reflected in his tiffin stage 2 result. So all in all I can safely say If a child is preparing /prepared for 11+ English and Maths , He/She can safely get good KS2.DS prepared both CEM and GL.
But will this raise the bars for 11+ next year I am not sure.
I assume many parents will wish to get good KS2 result.
I hope DS does not read my posts here or I will be caught making lots of grammatical mistakes. :lol: :lol:
Last edited by pii on Sat Jul 16, 2016 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blitz

Post by Blitz »

Her mum did a bit of work with her, but she was mainly self driven. She came out of the exam saying it went well and was a good experience. Often all we hear is horror stories about the exam day. She certainly did not go to pieces on the day.

Her primary had chosen her as one of 4 girls to go to the CCHS gifted and talented days throughout Y5. She certainly held her own on those days.
monochromecat

Post by monochromecat »

I have found this blog edited by moderator, forum rules do not allow links to blogs really useful. It is based on collated marks from 50 schools, nearly 3000 children. They note that the schools have over performmed compared to the national average.

Looking at the upper half, a score in Maths or English of 104/105 was the 60% boundary, so they scored higher than 60% of children taking the test. 106/107 was the 70% boundary, 108-109 was the 80% boundary, 112-113 was the 90% boundary. I imagine for Selective schools you would be looking at a score above 106 in Maths and English and the top 5% at super selective schools would in theory get marks of 114 in Maths and 115 in English. Obviously the same applies to SATs as 11+ in that it is just a snapshot on one day. Hope it's helpful.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

It would be better to wait until the National results are released. 5000 is about one LA so may not be representative.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now