Revision for SATS?

Key Stages 1-2 and SATs advice

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Enjoyingthejourney

Re: Revision for SATS?

Post by Enjoyingthejourney »

Guest55, that may be the intention and whether that is something one agrees with is subject to individual opinion.
However, the Head of a Birmingham grammar school told me that the SATs results are not used for anything in their school. Many students come in without any, be that from a home educated background or a prep school.
Also, a student teacher that I know had a few issues with her placement due to the ethical dilemma of having to doctor the results of school assessments. When voicing said complaint she was told to 'stop being naïve'.
Amber

Post by Amber »

I think it must vary. None of the schools I have ever worked in has used the SATs for anything at all. It was recognised in my most recent school (admittedly I left there 3 years ago, but still) that the primary schools varied so wildly in the preparation they did with the children that the SATs were 'next to useless' (quote from head) and that also many of the basically illiterate children I was working with had actually apparently attained satisfactory SATs. I assume they must get inputted to some computer programme (RaiseOnline?) in order to churn out a target or something, but hey, targets based on what a 10 year old does are of limited value imho and should not used to constrain or limit on the one hand or stress and push on the other.

I see these tests as a manifestation of the English obsession with producing data on education and seeing children as units of production rather than little people. The progress tracking which may or may not arise from them sounds like a great idea until you realise it is taking up masses of teacher time and being used as a stick with which to beat those teachers and their schools. For this reason I would have no part in revision for the tests. Our children are the most tested in the entire world and they don't benefit at all from primary testing. Secondary schools carry out their own assessments pretty quickly to see what their children can do.

I do agree with G55 that there is a worrying increase in ludicrous preparation for the 11+ being played out on this forum though, with very young children being tutored and slightly older ones being subjected to what must amount to hideous parental pressure. I was speaking to a psychologist this week who told me that calls to a particular mental health helpline for young people have gone from an average of 25 a day when the line was set up 5 years ago to over 400 a day. These things are connected.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Enjoyingthejourney wrote:Guest55, that may be the intention and whether that is something one agrees with is subject to individual opinion.
However, the Head of a Birmingham grammar school told me that the SATs results are not used for anything in their school. Many students come in without any, be that from a home educated background or a prep school.
Also, a student teacher that I know had a few issues with her placement due to the ethical dilemma of having to doctor the results of school assessments. When voicing said complaint she was told to 'stop being naïve'.
I spoke from the position of someone who was the assessment lead at a Secondary school in charge of pupil tracking for several years . I would be shocked if KS2 tests were used for 'nothing' - what a waste of brilliant information! We found far more correlation with KS2 test scores than 11+ scores ...
I hope that student teacher took her concerns further - what is the point of an assessment is it is changed ...?
Enjoyingthejourney

Post by Enjoyingthejourney »

It seems the assessments need to reflect the SATs scores. If they do not then they must be 'adjusted'. It was taken further, hence the call to not be 'naïve' from the course co-ordinator.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Enjoyingthejourney wrote:It seems the assessments need to reflect the SATs scores. If they do not then they must be 'adjusted'. It was taken further, hence the call to not be 'naïve' from the course co-ordinator.
That is something I have never heard of in any school I have known ... absolutely pointless too imho.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Middlesexmum wrote:
Guest55 wrote:Middlesexmum - your post is a bit ironic. The pressure for KS2 tests is NOTHING compared to what I see on here for 11+.
That is a good point but there are differences. Firstly preparing for 11+ exams and aiming for particular schools should very much be child-led. Parents can facilitate, support and buy suitable materials but the child has to be on board. It is very much an option for secondary education and the vast majority of Year 6 children in this country will not do any 11+ exams. Whereas with SATS preparation, the child gets no choice in the matter.
But for the majority of children in UK primary schools, many have no choice other than be subjected to over the top SATS revision and that's wrong IMO.
But the parent does. :shock: :shock: You have the ABSOLUTE right to withdraw your child from SATs and the school has to respect your wishes. That is fact. If you are unhappy with the principle of SATs then stick to your principles, withdraw your child and stress over.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now