Revision for SATS?

Key Stages 1-2 and SATs advice

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
salsa

Re: Revision for SATS?

Post by salsa »

Our school will put on extra classes over Easter for those who are boarderline although these will not be compulsory. They did have a meeting explaining the whole process to parents, but so far I haven't seen an increase in homework. Some schools are of the view that a lot of children work very hard for the 11+, but their parents are not prepared to do any extra work when it comes to SATs. My eldest didn't do any extra work at home but was put on a set at school. They did do lots of mocks and the school did very well overall. Unfortunately, many parents will only look at a league table to decide whether to send their children to a school, so I can also see the school taking this into consideration.

Some secondary schools do set according to their SATs results and other tests they may do when children join year 7, such as cognitive tests. My son's GS do not set, but gives GCSE grades targets based on SATs and how they have performed in the first two years of secondary school.
Salsa
JamesDean

Post by JamesDean »

I believe Yoyo is a HT - put bluntly, their jobs depend on SATS results :(

JD
Middlesexmum

Post by Middlesexmum »

I hate the pressure that some schools put on 10/11 year olds. My youngest is in Year 6 and teachers have already been harping on about SATS since the start of the year. This is our first time doing Year 6 at this school (older dds went to a different primary) so it will be interesting to see how things progress over the coming months.

What really annoys me though is the Headteacher's double standards. In her last newsletter, she made a big point of addressing children's mental health and well-being and will be introducing yoga and mindfulness sessions for the children. Sorry but that's sticking a plaster over a wound! Cut back on SATS revision, cut back on HOMEWORK (another bug-bear of mine). I'm pretty sure homework at primary school has no bearing on academic success at 16 or 18.

And this is a school with a wide catchment area, they finish late in the day and some children go home by coach not getting home till nearly 5pm.

Do they really care about the children's well-being or their results? :x
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Middlesexmum - your post is a bit ironic. The pressure for KS2 tests is NOTHING compared to what I see on here for 11+.
salsa

Post by salsa »

Guest55 wrote:Middlesexmum - your post is a bit ironic. The pressure for KS2 tests is NOTHING compared to what I see on here for 11+.
I do agree, Guest55. Although for some, who just need a pass it may be different, of course. This would depend on the region and the 11+ score required.

My children reported that SATs were easy in comparison as they had a lot more time to complete the questions. With regards to homework, my eldest wasn't given any revision for them and my youngest was given a couple of papers. However, what they remarked was that they already had the level required as they had done the 11+ whereas some children were offered extra lessons during the Easter break to bring them up to the minimum level.

They did want to do well in their SATs, but did not feel pressurised. However, when doing the 11+, my eldest didn't feel too much pressure to succeed, but my youngest did, as he wanted to be at his brother's school.

I must say that they didn't go on any trips before SATs, but afterwards they would not stop, which was lovely.

Salsa
Middlesexmum

Post by Middlesexmum »

Guest55 wrote:Middlesexmum - your post is a bit ironic. The pressure for KS2 tests is NOTHING compared to what I see on here for 11+.
That is a good point but there are differences. Firstly preparing for 11+ exams and aiming for particular schools should very much be child-led. Parents can facilitate, support and buy suitable materials but the child has to be on board. It is very much an option for secondary education and the vast majority of Year 6 children in this country will not do any 11+ exams. Whereas with SATS preparation, the child gets no choice in the matter. And that includes those children whose parents decided against 11+ prep for whatever reason.

Secondly, you will always hear of parents going completely overboard on 11+ preparation, pile the pressure on and make their children work night and day. But other more sensible parents strive to achieve a balance between preparation and looking after their child's health and well-being. I have heard of parents stopping extra curricular activities during 11+ preparation. I would never do that because I think children need an outlet, fun, exercise and fresh air AWAY from the books. In the last year I made sure 11+ preparation was done around my dd's many dance classes which she loves.

If you choose to go down the 11+ route, then that is your choice. But for the majority of children in UK primary schools, many have no choice other than be subjected to over the top SATS revision and that's wrong IMO.
salsa

Post by salsa »

Middlesexmum wrote:
That is a good point but there are differences. Firstly preparing for 11+ exams and aiming for particular schools should very much be child-led. Parents can facilitate, support and buy suitable materials but the child has to be on board. It is very much an option for secondary education and the vast majority of Year 6 children in this country will not do any 11+ exams. Whereas with SATS preparation, the child gets no choice in the matter. And that includes those children whose parents decided against 11+ prep for whatever reason.

Secondly, you will always hear of parents going completely overboard on 11+ preparation, pile the pressure on and make their children work night and day. But other more sensible parents strive to achieve a balance between preparation and looking after their child's health and well-being. I have heard of parents stopping extra curricular activities during 11+ preparation. I would never do that because I think children need an outlet, fun, exercise and fresh air AWAY from the books. In the last year I made sure 11+ preparation was done around my dd's many dance classes which she loves.

If you choose to go down the 11+ route, then that is your choice. But for the majority of children in UK primary schools, many have no choice other than be subjected to over the top SATS revision and that's wrong IMO.
I also agree. However, if they have already done the 11+, SATs work would not be that hard.

Salsa
skipsmash

Post by skipsmash »

I started this post.

School did lots of Sats work, ds did nothing apart from usual hwk.

As I said, he did very badly in the 11+.

He did very well in his Sats and is now enjoying being in a top stream of a comp - with new friends who also did well in their Sats.

I did not expect to be given exact scores. It helped boost ds' morale after all his friends passed the 11+.

All his friends did well in their Sats.

I'm glad we didn't give him extra work.
Enjoyingthejourney

Post by Enjoyingthejourney »

If it wasn't for the SATs I may have left my child in school. I am home educating for the remainder of the year. They serve no purpose. What a waste of a year!
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Enjoyingthejourney wrote:If it wasn't for the SATs I may have left my child in school. I am home educating for the remainder of the year. They serve no purpose. What a waste of a year!
They do serve a purpose - all Primary schools are judged on progress from baseline to KS2 tests. Secondary schools are judged on progress from KS2 test.

They ensure anyone struggling is given help in Year 7 and Secondary schools find the KS2 marks far more helpful than 11+ score.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now