Revision for SATS?

Key Stages 1-2 and SATs advice

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Ricky74

Re: Revision for SATS?

Post by Ricky74 »

Our school have had mock SATs last week. Homework is now working from SATs revision book and we only do around 15 mins each work after the the 11 plus I vowed not to over exert them. They have never been big on additional work (even for 11 plus they would never do long stints)

Mine were level 3s at KS1 too but I have never applied any pressure for SATs or expectations as for me, the 11 plus was our goal and I must admit to being very relaxed about SATs and a little blase.

DT1 scored lower on 11 plus than expected. In mock sats he got 112 for maths and 107 and 106 for reading which we are pleased with

DT2 who scored much higher on 11 plus cored 115 on maths and 109 and 104 reading.

This shows me that jyst because somebody did not perform to standard on 11 plus that it does not impact on SATs and, that we don't need hours of study to achieve pleasing results.

Mine are not big readers, which I feel was our achiles heel in the 11 plus, and I know the school is working hard on SATs which is why we leave it to them.

Gosh I am a bit lax but I'm all 11 plus worn out - esp with double the children sitting ay same time!!!!
Ricky74

Post by Ricky74 »

Ricky74 wrote:Our school have had mock SATs last week. Homework is now working from SATs revision book and we only do around 15 mins each work after the the 11 plus I vowed not to over exert them. They have never been big on additional work (even for 11 plus they would never do long stints)

Mine were level 3s at KS1 too but I have never applied any pressure for SATs or expectations as for me, the 11 plus was our goal and I must admit to being very relaxed about SATs and a little blase.

DT1 scored lower on 11 plus than expected. In mock sats he got 112 for maths and 107 and 106 for reading which we are pleased with

DT2 who scored much higher on 11 plus cored 115 on maths and 109 and 104 reading.

This shows me that jyst because somebody did not perform to standard on 11 plus that it does not impact on SATs and, that we don't need hours of study to achieve pleasing results.

Mine are not big readers, which I feel was our achiles heel in the 11 plus, and I know the school is working hard on SATs which is why we leave it to them.

Gosh I am a bit lax but I'm all 11 plus worn out - esp with double the children sitting ay same time!!!!
Meant we do 15 minutes each weekend for homework. For us this is fine - there were higher results and I know some are revising like crazy, but my boys have had enough testing this last year!
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

We went on a brilliant, science-based school trip this week, have yet to do a mock test. There has been a huge amount of work done this year, children still fairly relaxed. Several moderations and advisor visits have confirmed that our children are on track and learning is good. We are anxious, but it doesn't have to filter down to the children.
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

yoyo123 wrote:We went on a brilliant, science-based school trip this week, have yet to do a mock test. There has been a huge amount of work done this year, children still fairly relaxed. Several moderations and advisor visits have confirmed that our children are on track and learning is good. We are anxious, but it doesn't have to filter down to the children.
Can I ask why you are anxious?
loobylou

Post by loobylou »

Yamin151 wrote:
yoyo123 wrote:We went on a brilliant, science-based school trip this week, have yet to do a mock test. There has been a huge amount of work done this year, children still fairly relaxed. Several moderations and advisor visits have confirmed that our children are on track and learning is good. We are anxious, but it doesn't have to filter down to the children.
I think yoyo123 is probably a teacher. I don't think you'll find any teachers that aren't anxious because a lot of parents judge a school on its SATs results and therefore results have an impact on the teachers/school that is disproportionate to their actual value.
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

loobylou wrote:
Yamin151 wrote:
I think yoyo123 is probably a teacher. I don't think you'll find any teachers that aren't anxious because a lot of parents judge a school on its SATs results and therefore results have an impact on the teachers/school that is disproportionate to their actual value.
Ah! That explains it! Thanks
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

One set of poor results can trigger an Ofsted ...and more importantly, teachers want everyone to do their best.
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

Guest55 wrote:One set of poor results can trigger an Ofsted ...and more importantly, teachers want everyone to do their best.
Oh I don't doubt that at all, I thought jojo was talking as a parent., totally understnadable as a teacher
skipsmash

Post by skipsmash »

Good forecast for the weekend, couple of sports events, my ds will be outside most of the weekend. He loves playing outside, now he is 11 he has more freedom and he loves it.

He looks tired as well - he's done tests every day this week.

No idea how he has done. Doubt he's got 100 in anything but I don't care. He will do his homework though, maths, spelling, reading, weekly SPAG. That is quite enough.

I hope the school gets good results for their sake, they've certainly given the dc plenty of test practice. It's a good school, it usually gets good results (I think) so I have no reason to think it won't this year - it has the same year 6 teachers. Ds does say that dc who are going to gs have said they don't care about SATS and are not bothering to try, but are messing around instead.

I feel sorry for the teachers and the stress they are under.

Thanks for all your comments. I am glad I'm not the only parent not doing making my dc do extra work.

I'm not mentioning SATS again - unless ds gets at least 120 in everything :lol:
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

I have absolutely no idea what my DS' scores were. I don't even remember them doing them
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now