What do scaled scores means on new Ks2 Sats?

Key Stages 1-2 and SATs advice

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Minniemooface

What do scaled scores means on new Ks2 Sats?

Post by Minniemooface »

I am trying to understand what scaled scores relate to what old levels on the new Ks2 sat tests. I know they say that a score of 100 is the same as an old level 4b.
But some websites and teachers are saying that is not true, and that the required level of 100 is more like a 4a or a 5c. I know that 110 is classed as a higher level, but what does that mean? . What I basically want to know roughly is, what level is a score of 100, what level is a score of 105-106, what level is a score of 107-110, and 110-115 etc.

I know they don't talk about levels anymore, but it is really hard to gauge where my daughter is with the new ks2 sats and scores, just a rough idea, would be really appreciated.

Thanks
Guest55

Re: What do scaled scores means on new Ks2 Sats?

Post by Guest55 »

You have asked an impossible question.

100 is equivalent to 'expected' ie level 4b, the old standard was level 4.

You cannot translate to levels - 110+ is exceeding and that's all you can say.

Her is the official info:

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/scaled-scor ... ey-stage-2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Minniemooface

Post by Minniemooface »

It's really confusing, how are you meant to know if your child is doing OK. Dd has been doing practice tests and her scores have been ranging from 105 to 110, the average score she seems to get is 106 or 107.

She has just got a place in grammar school, and we are very proud of her, as in her own words she says" that it is her dream school". Whilst we are aware that she isn't a child prodigy and outstanding, we just wanted to know if she is doing OK with the scores she is getting in mock tests. The school teachers seem to be baffled with the new ks2 sats , and don't tell you anything.
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

Guest55 wrote:You have asked an impossible question.

100 is equivalent to 'expected' ie level 4b, the old standard was level 4.

You cannot translate to levels - 110+ is exceeding and that's all you can say.

Her is the official info:

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/scaled-scor ... ey-stage-2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Minniemooface I can understand your confusion.

Hope this is not taken the wrong way.But for those schools in the independent sector where Sats were taken on a voluntary basis are they really worth doing now ? The only information you get from the school is the percentage of children performing at the expected level or at the higher level and the performance of your child.At the higher levels the information is not very informative.At my children's former school where all children will be at the expected level and many work at the former level 6 or 7 in their final year the results become meaningless.The level 7 would be in the Maths.
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

KS2 test NEVER went to level 7 and level 6 was not equivalent to KS3 as so little of the level was tested.

I wouldn't worry - it'd be good to have scores over 110 but there are plenty in GS with lower scores. In the past at a Bucks GS we even had some level 3s and level 4s were common.
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

Guest55 wrote:KS2 test NEVER went to level 7 and level 6 was not equivalent to KS3 as so little of the level was tested.

I wouldn't worry - it'd be good to have scores over 110 but there are plenty in GS with lower scores. In the past at a Bucks GS we even had some level 3s and level 4s were common.
The former level 7 would be children doing GCSE level questions as they were informed by their maths teacher at school.It certainly helped some in gaining scholarship offers at other schools in the past.
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

A teacher assessed level 7 is not equivalent to a test level 7.
Minniemooface

Post by Minniemooface »

Daughter isn't at an independent school, just a normal state primary school. The reason she has been doing mock tests is because the school have asked all the children to practice.

Daughters year 6 class this year is a very mixed ability range of children. Out of about 15 children they only expect 2-3 of them to get a score of 100 or over. Therefore the few that are able to achieve the standard score, they are hoping that if pushed they will be able to get a higher level score. I presume that this will help the schools tables.

Because the class has such a different range of children in it, the ones that are slightly higher up have been at a disadvantage because they have not been taught the more difficult aspects of each level, as the school have said that they have to concentrate on the majority of the class. This is because it is years 4,5 and 6 all in one classroom.
Ricky74

Post by Ricky74 »

I said in another SATs thread that the results of mocks do not relate to GS places for my twins. Both scored between 104-110 for reading and SPAG and we had 112 and a 115 for maths. These were last year's SATs papers that school tested on. Yet one of mine failed to secure a GS place in Birmingham. This is a 90 yr group state primary and most are expected to score 100. Therefore, not sure how useful knowing our schools is?
Ricky74

Post by Ricky74 »

Ricky74 wrote:I said in another SATs thread that the results of mocks do not relate to GS places for my twins. Both scored between 104-110 for reading and SPAG and we had 112 and a 115 for maths. These were last year's SATs papers that school tested on. Yet one of mine failed to secure a GS place in Birmingham. This is a 90 yr group state primary and most are expected to score 100. Therefore, not sure how useful knowing our schools is?
Sorry meant not sure how useful knowing our scres is at a GS level as there will be children at GS with low SATs yet kuds with higher SATs who didn't make it. Guess it also depends on which area you live in in terms of GS intake and competition.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now