What do scaled scores means on new Ks2 Sats?

Key Stages 1-2 and SATs advice

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
quasimodo

Re: What do scaled scores means on new Ks2 Sats?

Post by quasimodo »

http://schoolsweek.co.uk/how-useful-are ... t-results/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A link to an article reviewing last years KS2 maths sats tests.
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
Minniemooface

Post by Minniemooface »

We are in Lincolnshire, so grammar school intake is based on VR and NVR tests. A standardised score of 220 or over combined in both tests to pass. Our grammar school is looking for the top 25% as a rough guide for intake, so its not super selective.
Amber

Post by Amber »

I wouldn't worry. These things don't really matter. She is going to the school you want her to go to next year and her teachers are pleased with her progress. Trying to gauge 'where she is' compared with others or on a scale which is now obsolete is probably pointless. It won't matter one jot. :D

As for level 7 at primary school - never heard such nonsense. Ignore! :shock:
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

Amber wrote: As for level 7 at primary school - never heard such nonsense. Ignore! :shock:
Please ignore as we are getting sidetracked.As to nonsense a previous discussion from TES.

https://community.tes.com/threads/year- ... hs.585743/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
Minniemooface

Post by Minniemooface »

I was just a bit concerned that she might have been a bit low with her scores, as some parents that I know have said that all grammar school children should be way above the 110 with their sat scores , to be able to cope at grammar and achieve A* grades or now level 9"s. (I have to say that I would be perfectly happy if she just achieved the old level C grades).

I know dd will have to study hard, and have lots of homework. But I firmly believe that with good teachers, a bit of confidence building and encouragement, and my daughters positive attitude to wanting to learn and do her best, that I am sure she will be OK.

After all, thats all we can ask of our children is to do their best, and a lot can change over the next few years, they have a lot of growing up to do from age 11-12 until they do the exams in 5 years time.
Ricky74

Post by Ricky74 »

Minniemooface wrote:I was just a bit concerned that she might have been a bit low with her scores, as some parents that I know have said that all grammar school children should be way above the 110 with their sat scores , to be able to cope at grammar and achieve A* grades or now level 9"s. (I have to say that I would be perfectly happy if she just achieved the old level C grades).

I know dd will have to study hard, and have lots of homework. But I firmly believe that with good teachers, a bit of confidence building and encouragement, and my daughters positive attitude to wanting to learn and do her best, that I am sure she will be OK.

After all, thats all we can ask of our children is to do their best, and a lot can change over the next few years, they have a lot of growing up to do from age 11-12 until they do the exams in 5 years time.
Comparison could drive you crazy.

A number of DT1 class got great gs scores yet not for SATs and after our own scores with DT1 I take them with a pinch of salt.

So please don't worry as it sounds like you're doimg everything just "right". Scores of all kinds have proven little to us lately. you know your child and what they are capable of. What they 'test' at for 11 on one given day is not indicitive of what their future potential will be.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

quasimodo wrote: Please ignore as we are getting sidetracked.As to nonsense a previous discussion from TES.
https://community.tes.com/threads/year- ... hs.585743/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
How does that prove the child was level 7? Many primary teachers over level ... few have maths degrees to know what 'real' level 7 looks like.
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

Guest55 wrote:
quasimodo wrote: Please ignore as we are getting sidetracked.As to nonsense a previous discussion from TES.
How does that prove the child was level 7? Many primary teachers over level ... few have maths degrees to know what 'real' level 7 looks like.
I am sorry Guest 55 I know you always like the last word but we will have to live to disagree.I am not trying to prove anything I don't have to but there are other experiences out there.

Abraham Lincoln
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Acceleration is not the best way to develop gifted mathematicians anyway as several of the posters pointed out on the link you posted. I

t's not about having the last word is about debunking falsehoods.
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

Guest55 wrote:Acceleration is not the best way to develop gifted mathematicians anyway as several of the posters pointed out on the link you posted. I

t's not about having the last word is about debunking falsehoods.
I don't know what falsehoods you are referring ? This is a link to the ISI inspection report from 2015 to the education and schooling I was making reference.

https://www.mayfieldprep.co.uk/wp-conte ... 6-2015.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Abraham Lincoln