Understanding Ks2 Sat Scores

Key Stages 1-2 and SATs advice

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
pumpkinpie

Understanding Ks2 Sat Scores

Post by pumpkinpie »

I am trying to understanding how the ks2 sat scores relate to levels. I know that you are not meant to talk about levels anymore, but I am trying to gauge where my daughter is at. She has been told that she is working at level 5's and 6's for her subjects.

When you look at the government sat scaled scores, for spag a raw score of 43 indicates a pass at 100., for reading a raw score of 21 indicates a pass at 100 and for maths a raw score of 60 indicates a pass at 100.00

I think reading between the lines, to gain a scaled score of 100 or over indicates a level 4b, but I cannot understanding how this is possible, when the tests from previous years, a pass was a level 4 and yet the sat tests now are so much harder, so how can they still be classed as the same level.

I read on a previous post, that a teacher stated that a raw score of 80 was a level 3. on the old sats tests. So how can a score of 100 now be a level 4. I have one daughter who has passed her 11 Plus tests and will be going to grammar school this year in Sept, and she is doing practise test papers, and I can't figure out the scores she is getting as to what level she is at. The other dd will be taking her 11 plus this year.

I just want to know what score would indicate a level 5 and above, would it be a scaled score of above 105 for example. And a score of over 110 to 120, what level would that be?
I know that the grammar schools around here (Lincolnshire area) say children need to be at a level 5 , but being as we are not meant to talk about levels anymore, what sat scaled score would they now be looking for.
Bigbirdcw

Re: Understanding Ks2 Sat Scores

Post by Bigbirdcw »

I'm afraid I cant be too much help with the scaled scores but will say that my understanding as a parent is that the raw score needed to get 100 will probably vary year upon year depending upon the difficulty of the test and number of questions, just like the 11+ you can not say before the test that a raw score of X will give you a final scaled score of y. although I do stand to be corrected on this

You need not be concerned with the "Lincolnshire Schools expecting a level 5" statement. If she has sat the entrance exam and passed well enough to gain a place then it will not matter what she gets at SATs - they can not turn around and say "sorry your daughter did not score highly enough in SATs so she can't come anymore" - to them the SATs have no bearing upon entrance criteria.

For what its worth my dd2 scored at 110 - 113 level in all the subjects. She would have been considered a level 5 and would have been entered for level 6 papers had she been a year older.

hope this helps a bit
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

pumpkinpie wrote:I am trying to understanding how the ks2 sat scores relate to levels. I know that you are not meant to talk about levels anymore, but I am trying to gauge where my daughter is at. She has been told that she is working at level 5's and 6's for her subjects.
Why is your daughter being assessed in levels when they were phased out for her year group nearly three years ago?!
pumpkinpie

Post by pumpkinpie »

Because when I go to see teachers to ask certain things and at parents evenings, they always talk about what levels she is at or expected to get. Daughter always says she is working at level 5 on English or level 6 in Maths. We were told that the levels were only phased out from last year in relation to the sats tests.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I hope they aren't expecting an Ofsted! The mention of levels will be a 'red flag'.

Yes, levels went for Year 6 from September 2015 but other cohorts should have changed in September 2014.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... update.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
pumpkinpie

Post by pumpkinpie »

Daughter achieving between 104 to 108 scaled scores in Maths and English spag, when we did practice tests last week.

In 11 plus exams, only VR and NVR tests were taken, average scores for them before tests were 89 -93 percent. Out 11 plus results letter said strongly recommend , but did not give score mark, needed to get a total standardised score of over 220 to pass test. She had about 6 months worth of practise going over the questions and tests etc before she sat them.

I am just a bit concerned that the scores she is producing for sats at the moment, do not equal an old level 5 or 6, which she was always told that she was. The 11 plus scores/percentages that she got, show that she is quite bright, but her sats do not look as if they are the same.

I am worried that when she gets to grammar school, that she won't cope with the work, and be able to keep up with the other children and will be perceived as if she is not at a high enough standard.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I wouldn't worry. Grammars see a wide range of abilities and will help her if she is weak in a particular area.

I know students who qualified ant then got less than 100 in the reading test and they seem to be coping fine in Year 7.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

The sats are much, much harder now - you can't really compare them with the ones that were taken previously. If your DD passes the 11+ then she is deemed bright enough to cope with a GS education - try not to worry about the sats in respect of the GS. Some children entered GS with two Level 6s (back in the day when levels still existed!) and others entered with Level 5s (and possibly some with Level 4s)....some kids who got 6s find some subjects tricky - other kids who got 5s find those subjects easy. It's an inexact science to a certain extent!

Crossed with Guest
pumpkinpie

Post by pumpkinpie »

Thanks.

That makes me feel a lot better. I thought that if she only just scraped by passing her sats, or even if she fails some of them, that it would be frowned upon, as if she should not be attending the school.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I've had level 3 maths students in the past - they still got a GCSE maths in the end.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now