Moving primary school for yr 1

Key Stages 1-2 and SATs advice

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
CFNW1

Moving primary school for yr 1

Post by CFNW1 »

My DD has been at two schools in reception and we want to move her again for yr 1.
But concerned that we could make a mistake again! She is a bright girl,but gets bored easily so is inconsistent in her achievements.
The school she is at, is a larger school,inadequate Ofsted,her learning has definitely dipped, but she is having fun and making friends.I have concerns about the standard of education she will get there long term and also it doesn't offer lots of extra curricular experiences. Also as is a bigger school in a less desirable area if she chooses the wrong friends they could have some bad influences as she gets older. There are some rougher families that language is not good !
Previous school her learning experience was fantastic ,but friendship groups were a problem, she was bullied and her behaviour was not good.
We are aiming for 11+ and so want her education to be the best it can be , but we also want her to be happy and have friends.
Very scared to do a move for year 1, due to the first school experiences as she was always in trouble or having problems it was a nightmare - many sleepless nights. However we have a place if we want at a really fantastic school,top in results for our region and great extra curricular,but it is a very small school like the first one. So scares us a little that we will end up in the same situation . What would you do - any advice ?
Guest55

Re: Moving primary school for yr 1

Post by Guest55 »

Which part of the country are you in? It's hard to get places at a good school because of the Infant class size limit.
CFNW1

Post by CFNW1 »

We are Hertfordshire - however we have been told we have a place for yr 1. That isn't the problem, it's whether it's the right thing to do - 80% think it is, just wondered what others would do in this situation - stick or move ?
Hera

Post by Hera »

My DD attended 2 primaries in Reception and moved at the start of year 1. It was a result of a house move and she was happy at all 3 primaries. She now only really remembers the primary school she is in now. Year 1 is early enough to move, however if your DD has moved school twice perhaps the school isn't the problem. I will PM you.
Last edited by Hera on Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
CFNW1

Post by CFNW1 »

Thank you . I think she will adjust fine, looking at what you have said,no problem with her. It's me being content with the level of education , which I will be the third choice. As we have such high aspirations and I don't want to make her unhappy because of my quest for great education. I think we have this move and then stick with it.children are quite resilient and at such a young age I don't think it will be a problem. But it will be a problem if we leave her , because of friends and her education suffers which it will do where she is.

Thanks for advice.
mad?

Post by mad? »

CFNW1 wrote: Also as is a bigger school in a less desirable area if she chooses the wrong friends they could have some bad influences as she gets older. There are some rougher families that language is not good !
OP I hope you make a decision you are happy with and then perhaps take time to reflect on this statement. Hopefully the new school will instill values in DD which means she never judges or categorises people as rough, let alone that 'language is not good' (Oh the irony). However, I imagine if she has inherited this sneeringly derisory attitude towards those less fortunate than herself the friendship issues may not be over.
mad?
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

,+1
loobylou

Post by loobylou »

I think the op may have been commenting on bad language rather than poor linguistic skills?
CFNW1

Post by CFNW1 »

Sorry yes I see how that has come across ! Not what I meant. I didn't explain myself properly, I meant an area that has quite a few parents I have heard swearing and seem to have different values.Feeling the need to shelter dd from this and not what I hoped for her ,however I admit I could be wrong on this. Just a gut instinct.
Not that the area was less desirable, that the environment was less desirable due behaviour I have witnessed. Not ideal and not chosen by lots due to this. But I saw so many good points so thought I would give it a try and now am regretting it.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now