SATS 2018 - scaled scores

Key Stages 1-2 and SATs advice

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Guest55

Re: SATS 2018 - scaled scores

Post by Guest55 »

Those five 'levels' are a bit arbitrary and defined by the school - Secondaries will just look at the mark. 109 and 110 are just one 'standardised' mark apart ...
rhiane

Post by rhiane »

Guest55 wrote:Those five 'levels' are a bit arbitrary and defined by the school - Secondaries will just look at the mark. 109 and 110 are just one 'standardised' mark apart ...
Yes I agree the 5 levels DS's school uses are arbitrary, but these are meant just for the child/parent's info and not for their future school, I'm not even sure if furure schools see these reports?
From what I understand after the Government removed the 'national curriculum level' reporting, schools were expected to devise their own reporting format.
I know some (if not most) secondary schools use SATs levels to stream pupils for certain subjects in Year 7, but this is very fluid in my DSs school (DDs current school) as they are assessed frequently, which imo is far better!
stroudydad

Post by stroudydad »

rhiane wrote:DSs school report says exactly at which level a child is working at.
They have 5 catagories: Below/Developing/Secure/Mastery/Enriching a '+' can be added to each

Below (B) Pupils have been taught the skill but rarely are able to apply their understanding.
Developing (D) Pupils begin to apply their understanding - this is usually with the support of a teacher or adult.
Secure (S) Pupils are able to apply their understanding independently. They are consistently working at ARE
Mastery (M) These pupils are exceeding their Age Expected Expectation. Pupils have a deeper level of understanding and are able to apply key skills across a range of curriculum areas without explicit teaching.
Enriching (E) They are truely exceptional in these areas and can apply their learning across a variety of scenarios.
The plus shows more depth and understanding in each band.

As well as the above we also get a sheet for Attitude to Learning in all subjects with a score (Outstanding/Good/Improvement needed/Poor) across all areas (Progress/Effort/Behavious/Homework)
Do they really put this??!! :shock:
I have to say I am shocked, saddened, in disbelief..
Only my opinion but I think the categories sound awful...
Sparklecat

Post by Sparklecat »

It's tough isn't it? Sort kids and put labels on them. Or do like our school and not give any real information beyond warm fuzzy words.